It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC/Git integration: who's done it/how well does it work?

Paul Smith (26122) | asked Oct 17 '11, 5:30 p.m.
Hi all. I've read the "Integrating other SCM Systems with Rational Team Concert 2.0" document from 2009, which gives a lot of detail but is a little lacking as to the higher-level pros and cons, and searched these forums looking for people who've actually implemented this integration but haven't found much.

Has anyone out there actually implemented the RTC/Git bridge described in the above document? How is it working for you? Do you have any advice? Are you willing to give a general overview of how your system works? With a DVCS there are lots of decisions to make (it seems to me); do you connect RTC with only the "master" git repository? All of them? Etc. Is there any existing community around this environment that I can contact?

What features of RTC does one lose by choosing the Git bridge instead of the builtin SCM? The above doc just says "it is possible to provide a similar type of integration between RTC work items and other SCM systems by using comments and the "Related Artifacts" links provided by the Work Items component. The level of integration will not be as high as with RTC SCM but it is useful none the less"; I'm wondering exactly what "not as high" means: what features are preserved, and which are not.

Finally in some of my readings I've seen discussion of a "connector", while the above doc describes a Git "bridge". Are "connector" and "bridge" different names for the same thing? If not what is the advantage of a connector over a bridge (or vice versa), and if a connector gives tighter integration then is there one available for Git and/or would it be difficult to create one?

Thanks for any guidance/pointers/guidelines anyone can provide!
Cheers!

22 answers

permanent link
Amrinder Singh (6111) | answered Aug 14 '14, 4:43 p.m.
but then the batch files for gerrit.. i have to change their extension right? because they are in linux

Comments
sam detweiler commented Aug 14 '14, 4:52 p.m.

you will have to rewrite/convert them to linux shell scripts. IBM only provided windows batch files.

they are not long and are easy to convert if you know linux scripting.
most of it is very similar to the provided post-receive script.

I don't know anything about gerrit.

permanent link
Amrinder Singh (6111) | answered Aug 14 '14, 5:23 p.m.

The reason why I had .py extension is I thought we are installing python 3.3.4 and the scripts will use it apart from .py scripts provided by IBM (AssociateWorkitem.py and validatepush.py)

So for post-receive, did you change the extension to .sh then? Do you mind sharing your post-receive script if possbile?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Aug 14 '14, 5:31 p.m. | edited Aug 14 '14, 5:31 p.m.

git expects the two hooks, pre-receive and post-receive to be named exactly that. no extensions

those scripts USE python to run the NEXT STEPS..  but their names MUST BE as expected or git cannot call them

all I changed in post-receive is this

userId="sam"
jazzRepoUrl='https://detweiler.dyndns.org:9445/ccm'
gitRepoKey=ef499d2b98da465ea1beebc30778495a
pythonPath="/opt/ActivePython-3.3/bin/python3.3"
hooksPath="/opt/rtc-git"

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.