It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

No Report Parameters in a Number of Reports

Chris Cadiz (1611) | asked Oct 05 '11, 12:08 p.m.
I have a project set up using the Scrum template with one timeline, and multiple team areas. Categories are set up and associated with each team area and releases has been defined. I have also created release and sprint backlogs with estimated epics, stories, and tasks.

Now when I try to create a 'Open vs Closed Work Items' report, I get 'No open work items were found'. When I try to edit report parameters Team Area, Category, Iteration, and Type all come up blank. The same is true for the 'Micro Release Burndown' on the dashboard and a lot of other reports; 'Story Child Work Items' seems to work though.

I have been adding data for over two weeks now and have also manually run the data warehouse collection jobs, but still nothing. I am confident that the data warehousing is correctly set up as reports are working for another project area.

What am I doing wrong? Can anybody help me please?

Thanks,
Chris

16 answers

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Dec 21 '11, 11:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The "Custom Reports" widget is specifically designed to pull RRDI (Cognos-based) reports into your dashboard. It's not for adding additional out-of-the-box BIRT reports to your dashboard.

However, you can do this: there's a wiki page here:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/HowToAddNewDashboardTrendReports

Follow the section entitled "Run-time process contribution method", and you can add new BIRT report viewlets to your dashboard.

james

Hi James,

I was trying to use the "Custom Reports" widget to display additional reports like "Team Capacity" on the dashboard. I can see and run it in the Eclipse client but needs to add it on the dashboard ideally...Apparently I am using the wrong widget. but no idea how I can add it there then. Can you help? :)

Many thanks
Claire

I managed to fix part of the issue by resetting the iterations dates and times in the Process Template.

Originally I assumed that the release start and end date would be automatically implied from the first Sprint Start and last Sprint End but this is not the case. You have to set up every one of them manually.

Also, you may find useful to check the times. By default it is not in sync with the working hours, you have to set them all manually, default being the time you created the iteration.

When I did that I started to get Teams and Iterations populated in the reports. Unfortunately, the previous data collections are lost :-/ I still have issues with the Categories which don't show up in reports. Also the Report Templates are not accessible from the dashboards which is odd...I have raised a PMR for this issue PMR 15388,033,866.

Hope this helps!
Claire

Which reports do not show up in the dashboard? We have separate templates for the dashboard (smaller, less detail), but most of the standard ones (burndown, release burndown, etc.) should be automatically available in the dashboard if you're using the Scrum template. If you aren't, it's possible to deploy these templates to make them available in the dashboard. Which one(s) are missing?

james

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Dec 20 '11, 11:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Claire,

To add (BIRT) reports to the dashboard for cases where we don't have widgets for them already (Team Capacity is one of those cases), you can follow the instructions in the wiki here:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/HowToAddNewDashboardTrendReports

See the "Runtime process contribution mechanism" section. You don't need to author the report, as it's an out-of-the-box report which exists already.

james

Hi James,

I was trying to use the "Custom Reports" widget to display additional reports like "Team Capacity" on the dashboard. I can see and run it in the Eclipse client but needs to add it on the dashboard ideally...Apparently I am using the wrong widget. but no idea how I can add it there then. Can you help? :)

Many thanks
Claire

I managed to fix part of the issue by resetting the iterations dates and times in the Process Template.

Originally I assumed that the release start and end date would be automatically implied from the first Sprint Start and last Sprint End but this is not the case. You have to set up every one of them manually.

Also, you may find useful to check the times. By default it is not in sync with the working hours, you have to set them all manually, default being the time you created the iteration.

When I did that I started to get Teams and Iterations populated in the reports. Unfortunately, the previous data collections are lost :-/ I still have issues with the Categories which don't show up in reports. Also the Report Templates are not accessible from the dashboards which is odd...I have raised a PMR for this issue PMR 15388,033,866.

Hope this helps!
Claire

Which reports do not show up in the dashboard? We have separate templates for the dashboard (smaller, less detail), but most of the standard ones (burndown, release burndown, etc.) should be automatically available in the dashboard if you're using the Scrum template. If you aren't, it's possible to deploy these templates to make them available in the dashboard. Which one(s) are missing?

james

permanent link
Claire De Bie (11656) | answered Dec 20 '11, 9:42 a.m.
Hi James,

Many thanks
Claire

Hope this helps!
Claire

james

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Dec 14 '11, 8:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hope this helps!
Claire

james

permanent link
Claire De Bie (11656) | answered Dec 14 '11, 7:34 a.m.

Hope this helps!
Claire

permanent link
Amit Kravzov (1351616) | answered Dec 14 '11, 7:23 a.m.
Hi all,
I'm facing the same issue.

No matter which report I use, most of the parameters do not show anything in it. Obviously it is not possible to choose anything from it.
Aall jobs are running and collecting information.

Any ideas, besides what mentioned until now in this topic?

Best Regards,
Amit.

permanent link
Claire De Bie (11656) | answered Dec 06 '11, 9:32 a.m.
Hi,

When you say "We had to go in and confure all reports manually cause most/none of them worked out of the box" Does it mean you had to show Parameters and choose your own? Or does it mean you had to update the source file?

Many thanks
Claire

A bunch of reports won't work out of the box. Also be sure that your DataWarehouse jobs are running. The RTC needs to run these datawarehouse jobs to collect data to feed the reports. I should also note that these jobs have to collect data over time. Which means if you turn it on tonight that they still might not have any data to report. Since just turning on the data collection jobs isn't enough make sure you have turned them on for that project. Also do you have any 'Info not available' listed in your conditions? If so when you configue the parameters make sure that that listing isn't selected or it will mess up the results in the reports.

We had to go in and confure all reports manually cause most/none of them worked out of the box.

permanent link
Claire De Bie (11656) | answered Dec 05 '11, 12:09 p.m.
Thanks James! I ran the query you mention below and seem to have data in the data warehouse. Not all work items seem to appear in this table. All items have a REC_DateTime of today as I ran it today apart from the Information is unavailable who is from the 7th of October. Is there a way I can view history of a work item for instance?

I don't think adding the dw_user as project member changed anything but I added it in case. I may be a coincidence but I get some sort of results on story points by Iteration chart: it find the story point number but not the iteration...It says Information is not available on the X-axis. Burnup & down haven't changed.

Not sure what to do now...!

Many thanks
Claire

Claire,

If you'd like to verify for certain whether there is data in the data warehouse, you can run some queries on the data warehouse. First find the name of the database (we recommend "RIDW" in the setup guide, not sure if you used that or not). Look in the REQUEST table in the RIODS schema; this should contain one record for each work item in the system. If it does, that's a good indication that the data collection jobs are working for work items.

For the work items data collection jobs, having the data collection user as a member of the project should have no effect.

james

Hello,

Thanks for your responses :) Trying to go through them one byone this morning and see what I don't have in my environment...got a few question then!

- "Make sure the reporting data warehouse user is a member of your project area and team area" --> the user assigned to run the data collection jobs is dw_user and was not assigned to the project. Added it to the project nothing seems to have changed for now.

- We have the "Data Collection Jobs successful" message everyday. Is there a way of querying the DW database in DB2 to view the captured data? Just to make sur we actually have data to report on in there.

- Most reports I went through the morning and tried to run are not listng any parameters, even if Team Areas and Iteraion are clearly 2 properties that are always assigned to something and so should appear as a choice. It appears to be random as for example, standard burndow chart has no Team Area or Iteration (Details is Medium (Remaining Work) and High (All)). Standard Burnup gather the Timeline, Team Area values appear in the listbox but Iteration is still empty. Details are filled in (Low (Completed Work), Medium (Adds Planned Work) and High (All))

- The only report that seems to give us some sot of results so far is the Actual as Percentage of Estimated Work. Here again not sure how accurate this result is.

- We are not using Source Control - only RTC here.

My gutfeeling tells me something is going wrong, whether it is in setup or related to a bug. some of the reports show no parameters but you can see the arrow poining to an empty line as the chosen one automatically.

many thanks for your help!
Claire

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Dec 05 '11, 10:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Claire,

If you'd like to verify for certain whether there is data in the data warehouse, you can run some queries on the data warehouse. First find the name of the database (we recommend "RIDW" in the setup guide, not sure if you used that or not). Look in the REQUEST table in the RIODS schema; this should contain one record for each work item in the system. If it does, that's a good indication that the data collection jobs are working for work items.

For the work items data collection jobs, having the data collection user as a member of the project should have no effect.

james

Hello,

Thanks for your responses :) Trying to go through them one byone this morning and see what I don't have in my environment...got a few question then!

- "Make sure the reporting data warehouse user is a member of your project area and team area" --> the user assigned to run the data collection jobs is dw_user and was not assigned to the project. Added it to the project nothing seems to have changed for now.

- We have the "Data Collection Jobs successful" message everyday. Is there a way of querying the DW database in DB2 to view the captured data? Just to make sur we actually have data to report on in there.

- Most reports I went through the morning and tried to run are not listng any parameters, even if Team Areas and Iteraion are clearly 2 properties that are always assigned to something and so should appear as a choice. It appears to be random as for example, standard burndow chart has no Team Area or Iteration (Details is Medium (Remaining Work) and High (All)). Standard Burnup gather the Timeline, Team Area values appear in the listbox but Iteration is still empty. Details are filled in (Low (Completed Work), Medium (Adds Planned Work) and High (All))

- The only report that seems to give us some sot of results so far is the Actual as Percentage of Estimated Work. Here again not sure how accurate this result is.

My gutfeeling tells me something is going wrong, whether it is in setup or related to a bug. some of the reports show no parameters but you can see the arrow poining to an empty line as the chosen one automatically.

Claire

permanent link
Claire De Bie (11656) | answered Dec 05 '11, 7:41 a.m.
Hello,

Claire

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.