It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Protecting password passed through the build definition

Saurabh Singh (111) | asked Oct 02 '11, 5:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have created a build definition in RTC of the type Jazz Ant Build definition.

In the properties of the build definition I have specified an attribute which passes a password to the build engine.

However the password appears in plain text format and then sent to the build engine.

This password is used to login to a second system from the build machine.
My requirement is to not make this password visible when the build is being fired.
How can I accomplish this?
I was looking for a password type value which can hide the password when typed. However there is no such functionality. The datatype that I can use is the String type.
What are my options to hide the password when the user enters it while firing the build?
I there a way it can be encrypted and sent to the build machine while requesting a build, then it would solve my purpose.
Any pointers/ideas?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 04 '11, 3:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

as far as I know you can create a password file and use that. The password stored in the file is stored encrypted. How to use it is described in the product online help http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.build.doc/topics/tcreatepasstxt.html

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Oct 04 '11, 8:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you weren't specifically asking about the JBE's password, you could add the credentials to a file on the build machine that has access specified so that only the account running the JBE can see it. In the build definition, you could then have a property that specifies the location of this file so that it could be read in as a properties file in the build script.

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
Terry Taylor (4199) | answered Nov 09 '11, 9:00 a.m.
This may be a very easy question, but I am not familiar with ant!

I have two build engines running on the same server but on two seperate drives. Both are identical except for the drive letter and a little configuration so you have...

X: - JazzBuild1
Y: - JazzBuild2

I've created a password file to encypt the password and both build engines run as a single "Build User", however if the build.xml referenced X:\Password.txt and it used JazzBuild2, it will fail.

So far I haven't managed to work out the best method as the ${basedir} is project related. Ideally it would be a "global" reference that many build files can access without manipulating paths, although if that is the only way then that's the way it is.

Ideally I would bury the Password.txt in the BuildEngine directory and have ant reference that but how can I ensure it uses the right drive for the right build engine? Is there a ${jbeLocation} (for instance)??

Cheers

Tel

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.