It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build forge continuous integration

vikramjit singh (91) | asked Sep 22 '11, 4:19 p.m.
Is there anyway I can get to know setting up my project with Ant,SVN and Build forge?

33 answers

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Sep 26 '11, 8:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, Build Forge can do continuous integration out of the box using adaptors.

You will set up Build Forge using the SVN adaptor. Follow the documentation on how to do this. This will monitor the SVN stream for changes and if a change is found a project will be kicked off. This project can run an ant build.xml or a maven pom.xml that was checked out of version control. Finally, you could do a deployment to Tomcat as another step in Build Forge.

I added an example of setting up a SubversionByRev adaptor with continuous integration on the Build Forge jazz.net wiki at https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RationalBuildForge/SVNAdaptorExample . The concepts would be similar for other adaptors.

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
Steven Vaughan (22111) | answered Sep 22 '11, 9:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is there anyway I can get to know setting up my project with Ant,SVN and Build forge?

Sorry, you'll have to provide at least few more details to be able to seriously address your inquiry ...

Back to you,
-steve

permanent link
vikramjit singh (91) | answered Sep 23 '11, 9:37 a.m.

Sorry, you'll have to provide at least few more details to be able to seriously address your inquiry ...

Back to you,
-steve

Steve
I am setting up Build forge with maven and svn for Agile environment. I have following link for integration buildforge,tomcat and svn
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/tutorials/r-buildforge2/section6.html
But If I have to use these tools in real time environment where I will give path of maven(pom.xml) in build forge. And how it will work?

permanent link
Benjamin Chodroff (8985231) | answered Sep 23 '11, 3:21 p.m.
Yes, Build Forge can do continuous integration out of the box using adaptors.

You will set up Build Forge using the SVN adaptor. Follow the documentation on how to do this. This will monitor the SVN stream for changes and if a change is found a project will be kicked off. This project can run an ant build.xml or a maven pom.xml that was checked out of version control. Finally, you could do a deployment to Tomcat as another step in Build Forge.

permanent link
vikramjit singh (91) | answered Sep 27 '11, 11:59 a.m.
Brent
In the following link the command used is ant -propertyfile temp.properties -buildfile C:\temp\svn_tomcat\trunk\build.xml ] for the Ant build.xml but if I have to use maven and have to give mvn compile in command window then the command will succeed only if I am doing mvn compile from base directory say c:MyDir/ (reason Pom.xml resides under base directory). Then where do I have to specify path while creating a step ?

1.Click Projects.
2.Click Tomcat in the Project list.
1.Click Build Tomcat in the Step list.
2.Change command to
ant -propertyfile temp.properties -buildfile C:\temp\svn_tomcat\trunk\build.xml
3.Click Save Step.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/tutorials/r-buildforge2/section6.html

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Sep 28 '11, 8:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can adjust the path by choosing either 'Absolute' or 'Relative' for the 'Path' field on the Step page in the UI. In addition on the Step page, you can set the 'Directory'. The other part to take into account is what the Server has for its 'Path' field on the Server page in the UI.

A couple of examples:

Example 1
Server Path: /tmp
Step Directory: /
Path: Relative
Project Name: MY_PROJECT
TAG: BUILD_1
Command Executes In: /tmp/MY_PROJECT/BUILD_1

Example 2
Server Path: /tmp
Step Directory: /
Path: Absolute
Project Name: MY_PROJECT
TAG: BUILD_1
Command Executes In: /tmp

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
vikramjit singh (91) | answered Sep 29 '11, 1:57 p.m.
Hi

I am getting error something like this. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Locale set to 'en_US.UTF-8'
70 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC Unable to open
176 9/29/11 12:29 PM MKDIR created.
177 9/29/11 12:29 PM RESULT 0 (0)
239 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC Locale set to 'en_US.UTF-8'
241 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC Unable to open
347 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC Performing variable expansion on command line
348 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC spawning shell
349 9/29/11 12:29 PM SCRIPT mvn compile svn://hct431sandda901/micase/branches
350 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC start
351 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC Scanning for projects...
352 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC ------------------------------------------------------------------------
353 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC BUILD FAILURE
354 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC ------------------------------------------------------------------------
355 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC Total time: 0.124s
356 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC Finished at: Thu Sep 29 13:29:17 EDT 2011
357 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC Final Memory: 2M/123M
358 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC ------------------------------------------------------------------------
359 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC The goal you specified requires a project to execute but there is no POM in this directory (/mw01/agscmtools/BForge_tool/bfagent-7.1.2.1-0-0008/src/Test/BUILD_22). Please verify you invoked Maven from the correct directory. ->
360 9/29/11 12:29 PM EXEC

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Sep 29 '11, 2:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

It looks like your project step's are set for a 'Relative' path. In my projects that extract source code, that works out ok most of the time because the first step is usually to extract the source code from a source code repository. Therefore, the source is in the same directory that I'm running the build/compile tool from.

However, in your case it appears that will not be the case. I would suggest trying to work with an 'Absolute' path or just use the '-f' option in Maven. For example, you might try something like:

mvn <your goal> -f <absolute path to pom.xml>

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
vikramjit singh (91) | answered Sep 29 '11, 4:56 p.m.
Thanks a ton Brent. I tried that command and boom. I really appreciate

permanent link
vikramjit singh (91) | answered Oct 03 '11, 11:12 a.m.
Brent
I scheduled a Project to run every 30 minutes sometime it ran succesfully while other times it died. Can you please tell me what could be the reason?
One Died Job is as follows:
Process for id died unexpectedly.

Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.