It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Web UI page does not display unless running in debug mode

Haytham Yassine (262) | asked Jun 27 '08, 10:23 a.m.
Hi, I've added a Jazz web UI page for the component I'm working on. It seems to display with no indicated errors (both in IE and FF) when including "?debug=true" in the url. If the debug argument is not included, the page does not display.

Does this have to do with any errors that are not caught by the debugger and if so is there a way to point them out?

6 answers

permanent link
Haytham Yassine (262) | answered Jul 10 '08, 9:06 a.m.
I wish, it was something even more lame. I had a ')' instead of a '}' ending one of the widget definitions. It was pretty tough to catch it with the eye. I learned my lesson though, I'll be running in non-debug mode after each significant change-set.

permanent link
Bill Higgins (4562523) | answered Jul 04 '08, 5:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks Bill... I had previously thought that firebug would detect load-time syntax errors, but apparently not. I commented out most of my code and removed the comments gradually... problem solved.

Thanks guys :)

What was the line that was failing, just out of curiosity? Accessing a property that didn't exist?

permanent link
Haytham Yassine (262) | answered Jul 03 '08, 10:32 a.m.
Thanks Bill... I had previously thought that firebug would detect load-time syntax errors, but apparently not. I commented out most of my code and removed the comments gradually... problem solved.

Thanks guys :)

permanent link
Bill Higgins (4562523) | answered Jun 29 '08, 9:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Another thing to note, when I'm running in debug mode, the firebug console doesn't indicate any syntax error, but when not in debug mode, it indicates the following error:
Error: Failed to aynchronously load module eval failed

This means what it says - your JavaScript has a syntax error that is preventing the JavaScript interpreter from interpreting it. The fact that your script is failing to load at all makes me think that the syntax error is occurring in a global block that gets executed at load time (i.e. not inside a function).

I would look through all of my global code (e.g. dojo.require statements, dojo.provide statements, aliasing statements, etc.) and if necessary just start doing binary commenting out until the thing loads, which will help you track down the problematic line(s) of code.

permanent link
Haytham Yassine (262) | answered Jun 28 '08, 11:11 p.m.
Hi Richard,

Addressing your points:

1) Is this your own Web UI application definition or are you adding a page to an RTC Web Application.
- It's added to an RTC Web App, adding a tabbed page for a component I'm working on.

2) How many Web Bundles are you adding and what does their plugin.xml look like ?
- I'm adding 3 Web Bundles (they're the same Web Bundles added by the workitems plugin)

3) How are you running this ? Using jetty within Eclipse ? If so how did you create the launch.
- I'm running Embedded Jetty 5.1.10 with Bridge(SCM) from Eclipse. It is the launch defined by SCM and I'm simply adding my bundles to the launch.

4) If you are running with jetty what do you see in the console when it is stared.
I'll email you the console output :)

Another thing to note, when I'm running in debug mode, the firebug console doesn't indicate any syntax error, but when not in debug mode, it indicates the following error:
Error: Failed to aynchronously load module eval failed

permanent link
Richard Backhouse (6661) | answered Jun 27 '08, 11:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Haytham,

Can you provide some more details on your setup. For example :

1) Is this your own Web UI application definition or are you adding a
page to an RTC Web Application.
2) How many Web Bundles are you adding and what does their plugin.xml
look like ?
3) How are you running this ? Using jetty within Eclipse ? If so how did
you create the launch.
4) If you are running with jetty what do you see in the console when it
is stared.

Richard
Jazz Web UI and Serve development

hyassine wrote:
Hi, I've added a Jazz web UI page for the component I'm working on. It
seems to display with no indicate errors (both in IE and FF) when
including "?debug=true" in the url. If the debug argument
is not included, the page does not display.

Does this have to do with any errors that are not caught by the
debugger and if so is there a way to point them out?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.