It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does the RTC 3.0.1 client support Sametime 8.5.x?

Paul Sims (31513421) | asked Sep 08 '11, 3:34 p.m.
The Information Center topic at URL http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.collaboration.doc/topics/t_connect_st.html refers to the new property name com.ibm.collaboration.realtime in plugin_customization.ini but I couldn't find the supporting Sametime plug-in update.

I checked for plug-in updates and only found four.

TeamConcert_301/sametime
Jazz Collaboration
Sametime 7.5.1 MQTT Client v2.0.0.6 Hotfix
Sametime 8.0 JWRZ-7ETP5W Hotfix
Sametime 8.0.1 JWRZ-7ETP5W Hotfix

Is someone working on a hotfix for Sametime 8.5.x?

Comments
Paul Sims commented Apr 04 '13, 1:21 p.m. | edited Apr 04 '13, 1:22 p.m.

In file <Notes directory>\framework\rcp\plugin_customization.ini I changed

com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.brokerbridge/startBroker=true

to

com.ibm.collaboration.realtime/startBroker=true

and voila! Sametime presence started working in RTC.

Why didn't I notice this subtle difference between standalone and embedded Sametime before?

A better question is, "Do they have to be different?"

- Paul

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dzung Nguyen (26) | answered Oct 19 '12, 12:16 p.m.
I have tried with RTC 3.0.1 and Sametime Connect standalone 8.5.1. Here are the keys:

1. edit the file "plugin_customization.ini" in Sametime install directory\rcp  to have this:

com.ibm.collaboration.realtime/startBroker=yes

2. When installing the plugin from Sametime check only Jazz Collaboration and un-check the rest i.e. ST 7.5.1/ST 8.0/ ST 8.0.1

Paul Sims selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Paul Sims commented Oct 24 '12, 11:00 a.m.

Thanks Dzung. I was also able to use Sametime Connect 8.5.2 standalone with the RTC client, but I don't seem to be able to get the embedded (in Lotus Notes 8.5.x) Sametime Connect 8.5.2 to work, even after modifying plugin_customization.ini. Do you have any experience with that configuration? I would like to avoid having to run another Sametime client on the side.

- Paul

Dzung Nguyen commented Oct 24 '12, 12:55 p.m.

In fact I had removed my standalone ST 8.5.1 and used the embedded ST 8.5.1 within Notes successfully. I did as below ...

1. update "plugin_customization.ini" as before. It should be found in Notes directory/framework/rcp

2. install plugin for embedded ST: From Notes click on File->Application->Install then follow as before. If you do not have "Install" option in Notes you need to turn it on by checking in the same "plugin_customization.ini" for this property:

com.ibm.notes.branding/enable.update.ui=true

9 other answers

permanent link
Hermann Huebler (6) | answered Mar 28 '12, 9:46 a.m.
I'm running the Linux eClient for RHEL 6.2 what comes with IBM Sametime 8.5.2 IFR1 and Exlipse Helios with RTC 3.0.1 and got it working by using the following steps:
- Edit /opt/IBM/lotus/Sametime/rcp/plugin_customization.ini and change the line &quot;com.ibm.collaboration.realtime/startBroker=false&quot; to &quot;com.ibm.collaboration.realtime/startBroker=true&quot;
- Restart Sametime
- In RTC go to Windows --&gt; Preferences --&gt; Instant Messaging
- Add an IM account using the Sametime 8/Notes 8.0.1 provide

After these steps the integration with Sametime seems to work nicely

Comments
Jim Tykal commented Jul 23 '12, 3:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

My customer is using Windows desktops, not Linux. They tried the "plugin_customization.ini" tweak suggested by Hermann, and it worked on a Windows 7 client machine, but not with Windows XP. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

permanent link
Chris Barlock (18814738) | answered Mar 12 '12, 5:32 p.m.

permanent link
Claire De Bie (11656) | answered Feb 29 '12, 11:09 a.m.
Hello,

I am trying to install Sametime (Jabber being another option) so teams can use it on client project: some of them have sametime (IBMers) others don't and will need to install it I guess.

I am trying to make it work on my machine and struggle to understand how it works. If you know more or have done it before, can you please advise?

- I have Lotus Sametime 8.5 on my laptop - is that supported?
- Do they need to have a domino server setup on their app server? If yes, do they need to pay for it of is it provided as an integration with RTC?
- The instructions mention a sametime plugin install (step 1.e) I don't seem to have a sametime folder anywhere in my local installation and can't access the app server folders anyway...
- Obviously the connection from the client doesn't work and flag me an errr: &quot;com.ibm.logging.Logger&quot;...

Any ideas?
Many thanks
Claire

permanent link
Miroslav Zaninovic (36723) | answered Feb 13 '12, 10:50 a.m.
I have the same problem. I tried to integrate RTC with Lotus Sametime Connect 8.5 and 8.0.2 and with Lotus Notes 8.5.

Every time the same error occurs.

permanent link
Gerry Cullen (4651) | answered Feb 02 '12, 4:28 p.m.
I just tried connecting my Sametime v8.5.1 to RTC v3.0.1.2. The steps listed in the Information Center article mentioned previously did not match with what I was seeing in the RTC and Sametime configuration screens.
- I selected &quot;Jazz Collaboration&quot; from the search results when I was configuring Sametime.
- I didn't know what to do for the steps for &quot;Configure Sametime with your Jazz repository connection&quot;, as I did not find a &quot;Jazz&quot; category in Sametime below File &gt; Preferences.
- Configuring RTC for Instant Messaging only showed Service Providers for &quot;Sametime v7.5.1 / Notes 8&quot; and &quot;Sametime v8 / Notes 8.0.1&quot;.

Does anyone have the correct steps for getting these 2 versions to talk to each other? Thanks!

permanent link
Paul Sims (31513421) | answered Dec 14 '11, 10:00 a.m.
Thanks for the update Peter. I'll try it myself.

permanent link
Peter Bäckman (1621) | answered Dec 14 '11, 6:00 a.m.
Hi,
I tried &quot;Jazz Collaboration&quot; and it worked with my SameTime 8.5.1. So it works :)

Not very clear in the documentation :(

/Peter

Hi Peter, I haven't seen a reply yet. I just noticed a contradiction in the Information Center topic. It starts with

The Jazz collaboration tools provide support for synchronous collaboration using the IBM Lotus Sametime Connect 7.5.1, 8.0.x application. You can start peer chats and multi-user chats with several participants.

and then says

Before you begin
You must have IBM Lotus Sametime Connect 7.5.1, 8.0.x, or 8.5.x installed on your local computer.

It's not clear yet whether the client works with Sametime Connect 8.5.x.

permanent link
Paul Sims (31513421) | answered Nov 16 '11, 8:24 a.m.
Hi Peter, I haven't seen a reply yet. I just noticed a contradiction in the Information Center topic. It starts with

The Jazz collaboration tools provide support for synchronous collaboration using the IBM Lotus Sametime Connect 7.5.1, 8.0.x application. You can start peer chats and multi-user chats with several participants.

and then says

Before you begin
You must have IBM Lotus Sametime Connect 7.5.1, 8.0.x, or 8.5.x installed on your local computer.

It's not clear yet whether the client works with Sametime Connect 8.5.x.

permanent link
Peter Bäckman (1621) | answered Nov 16 '11, 4:44 a.m.
The Information Center topic at URL http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.collaboration.doc/topics/t_connect_st.html refers to the new property name com.ibm.collaboration.realtime in plugin_customization.ini but I couldn't find the supporting Sametime plug-in update.

I checked for plug-in updates and only found four.

TeamConcert_301/sametime
Jazz Collaboration
Sametime 7.5.1 MQTT Client v2.0.0.6 Hotfix
Sametime 8.0 JWRZ-7ETP5W Hotfix
Sametime 8.0.1 JWRZ-7ETP5W Hotfix

Is someone working on a hotfix for Sametime 8.5.x?

I was in the process of testing this myself. Did you get any information about SameTime 8.5.x support with RTC? I am using 3.0.1.1 and have the same problem as you describe.

/BR Peter

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.