It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Not able to create a new Work Item and type in RTC 3.0.1

shruti joshi (1003139) | asked Aug 10 '11, 2:23 a.m.
Hello,

I am using RTC 3.0.1 (CLM) and I want to add new type of WorkItem. I am referring following doc for the same but its is not helpful.
" http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/custom-work-item-rational-team-concert/index.html"

I my case when i create a new work Item (type) it is showing me the option in the list, but when i tried to open this it is not showing me the format of workitem that i had created.

Can someone help me for this???

Thanks
Shruti Joshi

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 21 '12, 6:45 a.m.
you create the workitem 'type'.
then u have to create a new editor definition for that type. (click the pencil to edit the editor definition string name)
and u have to pick that editor string everytime u want to add variables or play with the screen layout.

one thing to be careful, everytime u switch data elements, the type editor switches back to the default type (defect), and so you end up editing the wrong variables and presentation map if you are not careful.

and for each type and variable u create, don't use short names. make it some name like a classname.. cause there are many cases where all the variables from all the workitem types are shown together and its near impossible to tell what variable goes with what type.

permanent link
shruti joshi (1003139) | answered Mar 21 '12, 6:28 a.m.
Hi Ralph,

Can you please guide me in duplicating workitems???
So that I can create a new one!!

Thanks
Shruti

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 18 '11, 4:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

since I have done the steps described in the referenced document many times and it has always worked for me, I think I don't understand the issue you are having. Can you describe in detail what you do and what you see/not see?

Following thoughts: The easiest way to create a new work item type is to create a new type is to create it for an existing category.

You can create new categories but have to assign a workflow.

You can duplicate workflows and modify the duplicate later.

If you add attributes to work item types they will not show up in the Web UI. You have to create new editor presentations that expose the new attributes to see them. The Eclipse editor will show then in the custom tab.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.