It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing CSV files - Issue with apostrophe (Resolved)

Saurabh Malhotra (15231617) | asked Jul 26 '11, 4:01 p.m.
edited Mar 11 '14, 11:00 a.m.
Hi All,

I just struggled with this for an hour before I figured it out so I thought it would be a good idea to share with the rest of the community.

Apparently the RRC (3.0.1), CSV importer does not like the curly apostrophe during the import process. So you need to replace them with the straight apostrophe '

So just to give you an example, the following will work:

Type,Title,Primary Text
Term,Additional System of Record,"A secondary application for a client's data"

While the following will result in an error:

Type,Title,Primary Text
Term,Additional System of Record,"A secondary application for a clients data"

The error that is reported:

The comma-separated values (CSV) file was not imported. hide details
ID CRRRW7570E The comma-separated values (CSV) file was not imported.
"CRRRS4213E CSV data is not valid, either the encoding of the content is not supported or the content is missing the required fields: null" (More info found at entry in RRS server log)

Hopefully it can save others some time. :)

3 answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Aug 10 '11, 3:50 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is a work item here which contains a list of the characters. If the CSV file is encoded in UTF-8 (open in Notepad -> Save As.. -> Change encoding to UTF-8), the CSV file can be imported without error, however the special characters are double encoded and will need to be modified after importing. For example, your artifact containing smart quotes might come through like it is described in the work item. Hope it helps,

permanent link
Jeffrey Neau (11112313) | answered Aug 10 '11, 11:54 a.m.
Thanks for posting this.

I have opened a defect; you might want to subscribe yourself to it.

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Rational%20Requirements%20Composer#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=45025

What are the other character limitations?

I just ran across one where the customer's CSV file had the ol' Microsoft smart quotes in it (could only tell by opening up in WordPad) and I had to replace them with standard quotes in order to get the import to work.

I'd like to know if this is a limitation of RRC or, like ReqPro, is it more related to the supported character sets of the underlying database?

And if it is an RRC issue, we probably need to compile a list of unsupported characters for import (or, if it is shorter, a list of supported characters :) )

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jul 26 '11, 4:32 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for posting this.

I have opened a defect; you might want to subscribe yourself to it.

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Rational%20Requirements%20Composer#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=45025

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.