It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

GMail: Issue with Email Notification on secured SSL port 465

Marcio Braga (5621) | asked Jun 16 '08, 8:07 a.m.
My main email account requires a secure connection (SSL) on SMTP port 465 (gmail.com account).

During email test connection on server setup (jazz/setup):
SMTP connection was attempted with warnings. Resolve warnings or click Next to continue.
WARNING: The server could not be contacted: Exception reading response; nested exception is: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

And on RTC client:
Exception occurred during team invitation generation
Reason: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.

Obs: STARTTLS on or off does not help.

If I use another account that is not secure connection (SSL) and is on port 25, everything works fine.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you

3 answers

permanent link
Marcio Braga (5621) | answered Jun 17 '08, 9:19 p.m.
Indicating port 25 in SETUP for an email server that works on port 465 (SSL), allows the Connection Test to pass but it will not work on RTC.

Also, for a another email server that works on port 25 (SSL or non-SSL) the Connection Test will indicate "unable to find valid certification path to requested target".

Any suggestions ?
Thank you

permanent link
Matt Lavin (2.7k2) | answered Jun 18 '08, 2:24 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have setup a Jazz server to use gmail to send mail before, so it should work (with STARTTLS turned on).

I believe that the 587 port should be used. If I remember correctly, Google exposes two ports, one that uses SSL (465) and the other uses TLS (587).

If the port change doesn't work for you I can look into it in more detail.

permanent link
Marcio Braga (5621) | answered Jun 22 '08, 6:09 p.m.
Thank you. That is it. E-mail notification outcoming via GMail must use port 587 with STARTTLS turned on.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.