It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to migrate existing work items to new workflow ?

Gray Bachelor (3644) | asked Jul 04 '11, 1:43 p.m.
I have created a new workflow to apply to existing WIs created with the default workflow in the Formal Project Management template 3.0 iFix1

After switching to the new workflow existing WI show incorrect state in Web client and have inactive Action drop down in eclipse

How to migrate existing WIs to new workflow ?

2 answers

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Apr 25 '13, 2:16 p.m.
Ralph, can I follow up on this?

My understanding is that you cannot have the same literal in two workflows.
I can create a new workflow with the new states and actions
and then change the workflow for the work item type

Wouldn't then all of my work items have issues because i can't have the same literal in both the old and new workflows so then the old literal wouldn't be in the new workflow?

Susan

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 05 '11, 2:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have created a new workflow to apply to existing WIs created with the default workflow in the Formal Project Management template 3.0 iFix1

After switching to the new workflow existing WI show incorrect state in Web client and have inactive Action drop down in eclipse

How to migrate existing WIs to new workflow ?

You need to run a query and set the states. Please be aware that queries have a maximum number of work items displayed in Eclipse. You might want to adjust that threshold. It is typically a good idea to duplicate the old workflow and to change the names of the states and actions etc. instead of creating and assigning a completely new workflow. Doing this you can preserve the state of the work items valid, I believe.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.