It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Displaying RTC 3.0 Widget on a webpage, Portal, SharePoint

Benjamin Chodroff (8985231) | asked May 09 '11, 9:40 a.m.
Is there a step by step guide for displaying a Team Concert 3.0 widget (viewlet, iWidget, OpenSocial gadget) on a webpage using HTML and Javascript (or do you have to use Java calls?).

How about a RTC widget in Lotus Portal?
How about a RTC widget in Microsoft SharePoint?

6 answers

permanent link
Bryan Sarazin (1631) | answered May 09 '11, 10:30 a.m.
Hey Benjamin,

I am trying to accomplish the same task. Here are some of the topics I dug up in regards to this:

http://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11013

I wrote a batch file to grab the .png file from the server and copy it. There are a number of issues with doing this and I don't want to have to use this method.

http://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35116

It would appear possible to write create a javascript using the REST APIs, but there does not appear to be any reference materials for doing so.

Bryan

permanent link
Benjamin Chodroff (8985231) | answered May 09 '11, 10:50 a.m.
I am trying to accomplish the same task.

Good to hear from you, Bryan! Nice finds! But, not an elegant solution to download images :(

I'm hoping someone can point us the right direction. This should be easy using an OpenSocial container. The real question is how do you create an OpenSocial container in a webpage/Portal/SharePoint? Then, what are the steps to configure RTC to share information to that container.

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered May 09 '11, 11:44 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Unfortunately this is not easily done at the moment, because the dashboard relies on Jazz services to function, e.g. the dashboard service for persistence, proxy, optimizing css & js code loader, etc. So it currently requires a Jazz server to host it.

The type of portability you're looking for is something we want too, and is to be one of the main focuses of the Web UI team for the next release (post 3.0.1).

For now, your only option is to have a Jazz server (e.g. a Jazz Team Server or an application you write) behind the scenes that will serve the dashboard that you then embed inside your page. But right now by default you will get the banner and footer, which would probably not look good when embedded inside another page. So the best option I see at this point is to craft a very simple, small, Jazz application which only has a dashboard or widget, and that's all. Then you would embed that content in your page. If you decide to go down this route, I can provide some pointers.

Note that currently nearly all widgets you see in Jazz dashboards are implemented as viewlets, which would not be portable to other containers like Lotus Portal or Sharepoint.

permanent link
Bryan Sarazin (1631) | answered May 09 '11, 11:50 a.m.
What if we run Apache Shindig on the Jazz Team Server?

permanent link
Benjamin Chodroff (8985231) | answered May 09 '11, 12:18 p.m.
What if we run Apache Shindig on the Jazz Team Server?

Curtis - Thank you for this information!

Bryan - According to Curtis' answer, Shindig wouldn't help because it appears most of the viewlets (Such as Burndown and velocity, I'm assuming?) don't use the OpenSocial standard and instead are written as "viewlets".

I have multiple customers (at least 3) specifically asking for this type of support in SharePoint and Portal. They use these to allow executives disconnected with development to get high level information. Sending them directly into a RTC dashboards is "a bad idea."

Do you have some sample code to help us get started? I'm thinking I could create a JSP page that logs in with a service account and retrieves a dashboard. With some jquery magic, I might be able to hide those header/footers.

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered May 11 '11, 11:28 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've created a work item to track this enhancement, if you'd like to subscribe for updates.

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/165482

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.