It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I declare certain days as Public holidays for all users?

Roland Mueller (102299) | asked Apr 14 '11, 5:05 p.m.
edited May 23 '14, 4:09 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Easter public holiday is in front of us and I do not want to enter the day off because of this public holiday for every team member individually.
Is there a convient way to mark certain days for all users or at least per team as a scheduled absence?

Comments
Pavithra Kasturirangan commented Apr 15 '11, 1:10 a.m. | edited May 23 '14, 4:09 a.m.

Provision to enter public holidays is a feature that we are also looking forward. Again,we would require to define the public holidays as per timezone as we have teams across the globe with different calendars.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 23 '14, 5:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Roland, I posted code for a solution here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/manage-scheduled-absences-using-the-plainjava-client-libraries/

Took me a while, but hopefully helps next time around.
Roland Mueller selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Roland Mueller commented Jul 23 '14, 5:19 a.m.

Hello Ralph,

thanks for the code, we will try it as Kaizen!

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 23 '14, 5:58 a.m.

Roland, please download again. These recognition pattern are delicate. I found an issue with the importer and the CSV format. I will have to refine the blog. I added an extra error output to help users to understand the parsing problems.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 23 '14, 6:20 a.m.

Did the changes. The SimpleDateFormat mapping between the content of the CSV file and the importer has to map. This can be defined in the AbsenceFactory's constructor, however I forgot to do that when changing.

6 other answers

permanent link
Robert Myers (191116) | answered Jul 23 '14, 5:55 a.m.
We will try to implement Ralph's welcome code.
But, I believe this should be something which is available OOTB.
Each user (or an Admin doing this for each user) needs to enter Scheduled Absences in each Application for each JTS they work with.  Site Holidays is a generalised version of Scheduled Absences.  Most companies use a Vacation planner app to publish each employee's vacation and site holidays.  This means that users must enter Scheduled Absences in at least 2 places and if they use multiple JTS or multiple Applications per JTS, more than 2 places.
It is hard to imagine how a team can use RTC without RTC Planning and it is hard to imagine how RTC Planning Progress, Load, Velocity and Burndown can work reliably without providing Scheduled Absences.
This functionality would help advance use of Planning in RTC.  We have to overcome valid objections to Planning due to this duplication of effort.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 23 '14, 8:55 a.m.

Going with Geoff's answer https://jazz.net/forum/questions/53951/how-do-i-declare-certain-days-as-public-holidays-for-all-users/53956 you should create an enhancement.

What should be available out of the box? What functionality? Against which systems?

I think there are probably so many different systems out there users would like to connect to, every company would request at least one other system or requirement.

So a public API is probably the best approach that helps everyone. As described in the post, you can use the API to do that.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 23 '14, 8:59 a.m.

Even in Rolands case: he probably has users in different countries with different holidays etc. So he will have to add something that adds different holidays for different users. Onestly this could be just another CSV file with users. Or a column for which user location a holiday is valid - which breaks in Germany, where the states can't agree on the same ones everywhere, too.

There are so many scenarios here, that I simply decided to stay with the most basic one, to keep complexity contained.

permanent link
Roland Mueller (102299) | answered May 23 '14, 10:54 a.m.

Hi all.

I would appreciate  very much, if we can have access to the script. It's an issue many teams probably have.

Saitoh-san, Thank your for the contribution.

Ralph, good to hear again from you,  I signed up and follow your blog, so I can the info, when it's available .

Roland

permanent link
Shuhichi Saitoh (20059) | answered Feb 03 '14, 3:03 a.m.
edited Feb 03 '14, 3:05 a.m.
I just created a RTC 4.0.x eclipse client extension that enables users import the Scheduled Absences from a csv file (and JazzAdmins can do for other users' data).

Still I'm considering how to share the tool in public, IBMers who are interested can access the tool in iRAM.

Regards,

Comments
Igor Vilenski commented May 22 '14, 8:09 p.m. | edited May 23 '14, 4:13 a.m.
Hi Shuhichi, 
Is it possible to share this extension with non IBMers? 

I would greatly  appreciate this.

Regards,
Igor

Ralph Schoon commented May 23 '14, 3:07 a.m.

If you provide the code and give me a blessing, I would offer to publish it on https://rsjazz.wordpress.com. Another option would be to blog on developerworks about it and to share the link here.

Shuhichi Saitoh commented May 23 '14, 3:46 a.m. | edited May 23 '14, 3:55 a.m.

Hi Ralph,
Thank you for the offering. The option was exactly what in my mind.
I invited you as a member of the private project "RTC SAAT" in JazzHub. Could you please see the source code (and documents)?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 21 '11, 9:03 a.m.
Hi,

I am wondering if this would be one of the potentially great examples where a vivid extension community could provide small helper scripts (e.g. using the Client Library) to automate this and provide simple pragmatic initial solutions.

In the long term for availability I would however hope for a way to be able to provide this data once for the whole enterprise and consumer systems would just collect this user data. A requirement for a standard comes to mind. As an observation, the more systems need the same data the less likely the data will stay maintained.

Just a thought,
Ralph

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 20 '11, 10:47 a.m.
edited May 23 '14, 4:12 a.m.
The first requirement to get a feature considered is to create a work
item for it. As indicated below, that has been done for this request,
but as can be seen from the age of this request, that is not by itself
sufficient. In addition, you would need to make the case that this
request is of higher priority than the other requests being considered
for inclusion in the next release. The most reliable approach is to buy
lots and lots of RTC licenses, and then channel your requests through
your sales rep ... the more licenses you own, the greater clout your
sales rep will have for your requests. Another approach is to gather
support from other customers ... and the jazz.net forums are a great way
to interact with other customers ... you need to get them to publicly
support your request by posting supporting comments on the work item.
Another good approach is to attend the annual Rational users' conference
(http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/innovate), and speak directly
to the product managers and development leaders that will be there.

One important thing to do is to prioritize ... what are the top three
and top ten requests that you need to be successful.

Comments
Michael Prentice commented May 30 '13, 1:39 p.m.

Thank you for that information. It is very informative.

I've subscribed and added support for the enhancement.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 15 '11, 8:39 a.m.
edited May 23 '14, 4:10 a.m.
This is work item 90382.

In general, to find the status/existence of work items, go to jazz.net, and search for work items by typing in a keyword (or the work item ID, if you know it).
For example, jazz.net will direct you to the work items page for RTC:
http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWelcome
And type in "holiday".

Comments
Pavithra Kasturirangan commented Apr 20 '11, 12:41 a.m. | edited May 23 '14, 4:12 a.m.

Yeah right. It should be recognized depending upon the timezone you are in to.

The original requests 90382 and 31910 are still unassigned and is in backlog status.
Populating the user calendar will be a very useful feature to us that will enhance the power of RTC plans. Is there any possibility of fixing this in the next release?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.