It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Limitations with Rational Quality Manager ?

Sany Maamari (13243751) | asked Apr 07 '11, 9:24 a.m.
Hello to all,

I found a limitation in Rational Quality Manager and wanted to see with you guys if you felt the same way or if you know a workaround.
Here are the facts:
RQM allows to order your tests in three levels : the Test Plan, the Test Case and finally the Test Scripts.
You can put a Test Script in a test case that you can put in a test plan.
When you create automatic functional tests with Rational Functional Tester, you can use the RQM adapter of RFT in order to transform your RFT tests in RQM test scripts.
But here is the deal. In order to execute a Test Script you have to put it in a Test Case. That doesn't bother be very much. What bothers me is that you can put as much Test scripts as you want in a test case but you cannot execute all the test scripts of a test case.
If you want to do so, you must put one test script per test case, than put as much test cases as you want in a test plan. From here, you can execute as much test cases as you want.
I see two issues with this. The first is that when you've got lots of RFT tests, to put all of them in as much test cases can become annoying... and the second issue is that by working like this, the three hierarchical test levels (test plan, test case and test scripts that are logical to execute a full test campaign) are in fact only a two-level hierarchy (test plan and test case) because the test scripts cannot be executed as is, and the test cases cannot execute as much test cases as we want, but only one.

That's it. I hope I was clear enough to make you understand my point and am looking forward for your answers whether you agree or not.

Thanks for reading
Sany

2 answers

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Apr 07 '11, 12:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The only reason a single test case should contain multiple test scripts is if those scripts are testing the same functionality. Maybe on different platforms, maybe one automated and one manual, or maybe slight variations in the test steps. But they should all be focusing on testing the same functionality. You should not be using a single test case to collect all of your RFT scripts, just because RQM forces you to use a test case in order to run a script.

Something you should consider is test suites. That's a collection of Test Cases/Scripts for which you can initiate the run of multiple cases/scripts in one action. Essentially you just added your test cases to the suite, specify which scripts you wish to run, then run the entire collections at one time. This is particularly useful for automated scripts such as running a collection of RFT scripts. For more info on suites see:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rqmhelp/v2r0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_create_testsuite.html

permanent link
Yaqian Fang (2013223) | answered Apr 10 '11, 6:57 p.m.
My experience is that if adding multiple test scripts to a test case, for each test script in the test case, a test execution record is needed. So when executing the test case, it pops up which execution record to use, i.e. to use which test script. The name of a test execution record can tell which test scripts it's for.

However, this is not a good idea when putting test cases in a test suite. Because when executing a test suite, it pops up a list of test execution records for each test case in the test suite. If a test case has more than one test execution records, it requires manually select which one to use. So in this case, it's better to have only test script in a test case, so when executing a test suite, no manual clicks is needed for selecting a particular test execution record of each test case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.