It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Need help on a query for child state

Michael Dexter (9221114) | asked Apr 05 '11, 12:35 p.m.
Hi,

We have a plan item called Story and an execution item called Task. I want to create a query that will ask me to select a parent Story and will then display the status of each child Task.

It does not have to function as I described and it can be a report if that works better, but I don't see any way to get each child Task on a list where I can quickly see the status as associated to the Story.

Any guidance or ideas will be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

5 answers

permanent link
Manoj Panda (39336662) | answered Apr 06 '11, 6:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I can able to achive by doing the following way. as well i can see the each parent workitem having the link with child item as we all the status of the child item.

1. Create a Query name called Parent-Child Status"
2. remove all condition and create a condition (just for testing purpose) which will have parent and one more condition is child. So there will be 2 condition only. Please note that you need check all the check box like "show links" etcc.. in the add condition diloge box.
3. now your query is ready and you can see the result but with default result.

4. Now you need to export the work item to either html( i prefer) click next button, and add more columns likce parent, child, resolution, status category.

permanent link
Michael Dexter (9221114) | answered Apr 06 '11, 11:04 a.m.
Hi Manoj,

I must be missing something. I can add Parent and Children as two seperate conditions, but without selecting a field it says "No Values needed". If I select the ID field, it wants me to type in an ID number.

If I just add the root of Parent and Children and run the query nothing is displayed. What am I missing?

Mike

I can able to achive by doing the following way. as well i can see the each parent workitem having the link with child item as we all the status of the child item.

1. Create a Query name called Parent-Child Status"
2. remove all condition and create a condition (just for testing purpose) which will have parent and one more condition is child. So there will be 2 condition only. Please note that you need check all the check box like "show links" etcc.. in the add condition diloge box.
3. now your query is ready and you can see the result but with default result.

4. Now you need to export the work item to either html( i prefer) click next button, and add more columns likce parent, child, resolution, status category.

permanent link
Manoj Panda (39336662) | answered Apr 07 '11, 5:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
you are right. just save that query, if says "No Value needed". Now try to export what i given the steps before.

As a testing pupose you must keep some work item with parent child relationship.

permanent link
Manoj Panda (39336662) | answered Apr 07 '11, 6:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I just realized there is other way to do so.

1: you create simple query like all defects.
2. in the below box, click on view menu and relation ship. Check the parent. again check your result

You can do that using the Eclipse client. In case you are not aware of that, on the results set, look for the "View Menu" icon, select "Relationships..." option, and then the type of relationships you would like to see

permanent link
Michael Dexter (9221114) | answered Apr 08 '11, 6:03 p.m.
Hi,

I came across this idea using Eclipse to show child relationships as you say. Thanks for the help.

Mike

I just realized there is other way to do so.

1: you create simple query like all defects.
2. in the below box, click on view menu and relation ship. Check the parent. again check your result

You can do that using the Eclipse client. In case you are not aware of that, on the results set, look for the "View Menu" icon, select "Relationships..." option, and then the type of relationships you would like to see

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.