It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

tablespace for DW when using SQL Server

Daan van der Munnik (29113127) | asked Apr 02 '11, 9:42 a.m.
When configuring JTS for a CLM beta3 installation, the wizard is asking for a database table space folder and custom report database user.
I have selected SQL Server and created the dw database.

I am confused as to what to enter for tablespace (is this relevant for SQL server databases ?). It is not asked for the JTS database....

Thanks,

Daan.

7 answers

permanent link
Sumant Renukarya (1.1k23339) | answered Mar 21 '13, 8:46 a.m.
When running JTS setup and choosing the SQL Server as the database at one point it asks to enter 'Database Table Space' Folder.

Here is what needs to be done:

a. Create a folder in SQL Server path named DBbase manually first. This is where the SQL Server will contain the Database Table Spaces.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DBbase

b. So one needs to just provide this path in the JTS set-up page, where it asks for "Database Table Space Folder" and continue.
Essentially, the Database Table Space in a SQL Server is where this database stores logical group of data files.

c. After this, one can see the following SQL Server Database Table Space files, in the location mentioned above:

VNF_32k, VNF_IDX, VSTR_32K, VSTR_32K2, VSTR_IDX

I hope this helps anyone having the same query.

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Sep 03 '11, 10:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I was getting this error doing a manual setup of the database:
repotools-jts.bat -createWarehouse
I had to use double back slashes in teamserver.properties file to get it working.
Both forward slashes and single backslashes gave an errors
Singe backslash
The physical file name 'c:Jazzdata\VNF_32K.ndf' may be incorrect
And forward slash
The physical file name 'c:/Jazz/data/VNF_32K.ndf' may be incorrect

Here's what I used that worked:
com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.db.base.folder=C:\\Jazz\\data

permanent link
David Davies (20612713) | answered Apr 14 '11, 8:45 a.m.
Hi Daan

Did you ever get this working? I am trying to install RC1 onto multiple servers , it works fine on a single server, but when I select SQL Server for the DW database, it wants the table space property completed....

cheers

David

When configuring JTS for a CLM beta3 installation, the wizard is asking for a database table space folder and custom report database user.
I have selected SQL Server and created the dw database.

I am confused as to what to enter for tablespace (is this relevant for SQL server databases ?). It is not asked for the JTS database....

Thanks,

Daan.

permanent link
Daan van der Munnik (29113127) | answered Apr 14 '11, 10:33 a.m.
Hi Daan

Did you ever get this working? I am trying to install RC1 onto multiple servers , it works fine on a single server, but when I select SQL Server for the DW database, it wants the table space property completed....

Nope, did not get any response on this request, and did not manage to find a work around.

regards,

Daan.

permanent link
David Davies (20612713) | answered Apr 14 '11, 11:36 a.m.
Hi

Hopefully will look at this thread again.......

I checked in the SQL server and it has created 5 filegroups ( similar to tablespaces ) - Primary, VNF_32K , VNF_IDX , VSTR_32K and VSTR_IDX.

The error I get in the logs is ( ignore the dbo prefix is doesn't work with anything )

2011-04-14 14:29:01,215 ALTER DATABASE ADD FILE ( NAME = N'VNF_32K', FILENAME = N'dbo\VNF_32K.ndf' , SIZE = 51200KB , FILEGROWTH = 51200KB ) TO FILEGROUP
com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException: ALTER DATABASE ADD FILE ( NAME = N'VNF_32K', FILENAME = N'dbo\VNF_32K.ndf' , SIZE = 51200KB , FILEGROWTH = 51200KB ) TO FILEGROUP
at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.internalExecuteSql(AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.java:223)

and a bit further down

Caused by:
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: A file activation error occurred. The physical file name 'dbo\VNF_32K.ndf' may be incorrect. Diagnose and correct additional errors, and retry the operation.

Not sure if that helps anyone.....

cheers

David

Hi Daan

Nope, did not get any response on this request, and did not manage to find a work around.

regards,

Daan.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Apr 14 '11, 3:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Daan

regards,

Daan.

Hi Daan/Dave

This was reported as a defect in the documentation - and has been corrected. The fix was on an internal server I don't have access to but I asked this to be posted to another thread.

Keep an eye on this work item - or better still - add your comment to ask for the corrected instructions to be posted in the work item.

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=161522

regards

anthony

permanent link
Luis Carlos Bethancourt (11) | answered Apr 21 '11, 11:37 p.m.
This field should be filled with an existing path where you want to save the datafiles. i.e.: c:\data\jazz\

LC

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.