It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can't edit work item save participant with custom schema

Anthony Krowiak (1111612) | asked Mar 16 '11, 2:46 p.m.
I need to be able to create other types of work items when a particular type of work item is saved. I want to be able to configure the work item types to be created and the class - implements an interface - that provides attribute values for the new work item derived from the work item being saved.

I created an extension for the com.ibm.team.process.service.operationParticipants extension point:

<extension>
<operationParticipant>
<extensionService>
<prerequisites>
<requiredService>
<requiredService>
</prerequisites>
</extensionService>
</operationParticipant>
</extension>

I also created an extension for the com.ibm.team.process.ide.ui.processAspectEditorFactories extension:

<extension>
<factory>
</factory>
</extension>

The code for my aspect editor factory is:

public ProcessAspectEditor createProcessAspectEditor(
String processAspectId )
{
ProcessAspectEditor editor = null;

if(processAspectId.equals( "com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.createAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant" ) ||
processAspectId.equals( "com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.workItemSaveParticipant" ) )
{
editor = new AparAssociatedWorkItemTypesAspectEditor();
}

return editor;
}

My schema file looks like:

<xml>
<xsd>

<xsd>

<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>
<xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>

<xsd>
</xsd>

I configured permissions for the Team Configuration in the Process Configuration tab and assigned every permission available to the process role assigned to my user id. I rebuilt the update site, shut down my eclipse client and web client, stopped the tomcat server, and deleted the tomcat server work directory. I fired everything back up and opened the team process editor. I select the Team Configuration -> Operation Behavior configuration editor. When I scroll down to the Work Items->Work Item Save operation, I see that only the default role column has a selectable icon in it. I select that icon and the Preconditions and follow-up actions editor is enabled. Why do I not see the follow up action I configured in this editor? The Add button is disabled next to the Follow-up actions table, so I can't add it either.

For jollies, I tried adding the schema to a previously existing work item save participant extension and changed the aspect editor factory's aspect ID accordingly. When I select the follow-up action, the schema editor does not get displayed.

A couple of questions I need answered:

Is this the right approach for what I want to do:
    What else do I need to do to display the editor for the follow-up action?
    What determines which roles can open the follow-up actions editor?
    Why is my Add button disabled for the follow-up actions editor?

4 answers

permanent link
Anthony Krowiak (1111612) | answered May 11 '11, 2:34 p.m.
I resolved this issue. I noticed that the tomcat startup was failing to load my plug-in because its manifest indicated a dependency on com.ibm.team.process.ide.ui which does not exist on the server. I moved my aspect editor factory extension into a client-side plug-in which allowed the server-side plug-in to successfully load. I was then able to successfully edit my operation participant's configuration.

permanent link
Anthony Krowiak (1111612) | answered Mar 16 '11, 3:23 p.m.
I previously posted this question, but it took several replies to get the code inserts formatted correctly. I am recreating the post so that it is easier to navigate.

I need to be able to create other types of work items when a particular type of work item is saved. I want to be able to configure the work item types to be created and the class - implements an interface - that provides attribute values for the new work item derived from the work item being saved.

It seems that the best way to do this is to implement a work item save participant extension with a custom schema that can be configured with the work item type(s) and value provider class(es) to be created.

I created an extension for the com.ibm.team.process.service.operationParticipants extension point:

<extension point="com.ibm.team.process.service.operationParticipants">
<operationParticipant
class="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.CreateAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant"
id="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.createAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant"
name="SPoRT Create APAR-associated Work Items Save Participant"
operationId="com.ibm.team.workitem.operation.workItemSave"
schema="schema/createAparAssociatedWorkItemTypes.xsd">
<extensionService
componentId="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.createAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant"
implementationClass="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.CreateAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant">
<prerequisites>
<requiredService interface="com.ibm.team.process.service.IProcessServerService"/>
<requiredService interface="com.ibm.team.repository.service.IRepositoryItemService"/>
</prerequisites>
</extensionService>
</operationParticipant>
</extension>

I created the schema describing how to configure the work item types:

<xsd:schema
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
xmlns="http://com.ibm.sport.rtc.process.service.operationParticipants/createAparAssociatedWorkItems"
targetNamespace="http://com.ibm.sport.rtc.process.service.operationParticipants/createAparAssociatedWorkItem"
xmlns:process="http://com.ibm.team.process"
attributeFormDefault="unqualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">

<xsd:import namespace="http://com.ibm.team.process"
schemaLocation="platform:/plugin/com.ibm.team.process.common/schema/ProcessSettings.xsd"/>

<xsd:complexType name="aparAssociatedWorkItemTypes">
<xsd:complexContent>
<xsd:restriction base="process:followupActionType">
<xsd:element name="aparAssociatedWorkItemType" maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0">
<xsd:attribute name="projectArea" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
<xsd:attribute name="workItemType" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
<xsd:attribute name="valueProviderClass" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
</xsd:element>
</xsd:restriction>
<xsd:attribute name="id" type="xsd:string" use="required" fixed="com.ibm.sport.rtc.process.service.operationParticipants.createAparAssociatedWorkItems"/>
</xsd:complexContent>
</xsd:complexType>

<xsd:element name="followup-action" substitutionGroup="process:followup-action" type="aparAssociatedWorkItemTypes"/>
</xsd:schema>

I also created an extension for the com.ibm.team.process.ide.ui.processAspectEditorFactories extension:

<extension
point="com.ibm.team.process.ide.ui.processAspectEditorFactories">
<factory
aspectId="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.createAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant"
class="com.ibm.sport.rtc.process.ide.ui.processAspectEditors.AparAssociatedWorkItemTypesAspectEditorFactory">
</factory>
</extension>

I created an aspect editor class for supplying the editor controls and an aspect editor factory class that supplies the editor. The relevant code is below:

String processAspectId )
{

if(processAspectId.equals( "com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.createAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant" ) ||
processAspectId.equals( "com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.workItemSaveParticipant" ) )
{
}

return editor;
}

Lastly, I created an extension for the aspect editor factory that provides the aspect editor for my work item save participant extension schema:

<extension
<factory
aspectId="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.createAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant"
class="com.ibm.sport.rtc.process.ide.ui.processAspectEditors.AparAssociatedWorkItemTypesAspectEditorFactory">
</factory>
</extension>

I configured permissions for the Team Configuration process in the Process Configuration tab of the process editor and assigned every permission available to the process role assigned to my user id. I rebuilt the update site, shut down my eclipse client and web client, stopped the tomcat server, and deleted the tomcat server work directory.

I fired everything back up and opened the team process editor. I selected the Team Configuration -> Operation Behavior configuration editor. When I scroll down to the Work Items->Work Item Save operation, I see that only the default role column has a selectable icon in it. I select that icon and the Preconditions and follow-up actions editor is enabled. Why do I not see the follow up action I configured in this editor? The Add button is disabled next to the Follow-up actions table, so I can't add it either.

For jollies, I tried adding the schema to a previously existing work item save participant extension and changed the aspect editor factory's aspect ID accordingly. When I select the follow-up action, the schema editor does not get displayed.

permanent link
Anthony Krowiak (1111612) | answered Mar 16 '11, 2:58 p.m.

<extension>
<operationParticipant>
<extensionService>
<prerequisites>
<requiredService>
<requiredService>
</prerequisites>
</extensionService>
</operationParticipant>
</extension>

<extension>
<factory>
</factory>
</extension>

String processAspectId )
{

{
}

return editor;
}

<xml>
<xsd>

<xsd>

<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>
<xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>

<xsd>
</xsd>

I configured permissions for the Team Configuration in the Process Configuration tab and assigned every permission available to the process role assigned to my user id. I rebuilt the update site, shut down my eclipse client and web client, stopped the tomcat server, and deleted the tomcat server work directory. I fired everything back up and opened the team process editor. I select the Team Configuration -> Operation Behavior configuration editor. When I scroll down to the Work Items->Work Item Save operation, I see that only the default role column has a selectable icon in it. I select that icon and the Preconditions and follow-up actions editor is enabled. Why do I not see the follow up action I configured in this editor? The Add button is disabled next to the Follow-up actions table, so I can't add it either.

And for some reason, the work item save participant extension still did not show up. Here it is:

<extension
point="com.ibm.team.process.service.operationParticipants">
<operationParticipant
class="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.CreateAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant"
id="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.createAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant"
name="SPoRT Create APAR-associated Work Items Save Participant"
operationId="com.ibm.team.workitem.operation.workItemSave"
schema="schema/createAparAssociatedWorkItemTypes.xsd">
<extensionService
componentId="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.createAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant"
implementationClass="com.ibm.sport.rtc.extension.CreateAparAssociatedWorkItemsSaveParticipant">
<prerequisites>
<requiredService interface="com.ibm.team.process.service.IProcessServerService"/>
<requiredService interface="com.ibm.team.repository.service.IRepositoryItemService"/>
</prerequisites>
</extensionService>
</operationParticipant>
</extension>

permanent link
Anthony Krowiak (1111612) | answered Mar 16 '11, 2:55 p.m.

<extension>
<operationParticipant>
<extensionService>
<prerequisites>
<requiredService>
<requiredService>
</prerequisites>
</extensionService>
</operationParticipant>
</extension>

<extension>
<factory>
</factory>
</extension>

String processAspectId )
{

{
}

return editor;
}

<xml>
<xsd>

<xsd>

<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
<xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>
<xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>
</xsd>

<xsd>
</xsd>

Sorry, I forgot to turn off HTML, so the guts of the xml did not show up in my original post. Here it is:

<extension>
<operationParticipant>
<extensionService>
<prerequisites>
<requiredService>
<requiredService>
</prerequisites>
</extensionService>
</operationParticipant>
</extension>

<extension
<factory
</factory>
</extension>

<xsd:schema
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
xmlns="http://com.ibm.sport.rtc.process.service.operationParticipants/createAparAssociatedWorkItems"
targetNamespace="http://com.ibm.sport.rtc.process.service.operationParticipants/createAparAssociatedWorkItem"
xmlns:process="http://com.ibm.team.process"
attributeFormDefault="unqualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">

<xsd:import namespace="http://com.ibm.team.process"
schemaLocation="platform:/plugin/com.ibm.team.process.common/schema/ProcessSettings.xsd"/>

<xsd:complexType name="aparAssociatedWorkItemTypes">
<xsd:complexContent>
<xsd:restriction base="process:followupActionType">
<xsd:element name="aparAssociatedWorkItemType" maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0">
<xsd:attribute name="projectArea" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
<xsd:attribute name="workItemType" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
<xsd:attribute name="valueProviderClass" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
</xsd:element>
<xsd:attribute name="id" type="xsd:string" use="required" fixed="com.ibm.sport.rtc.process.service.operationParticipants.createAparAssociatedWorkItems"/>
</xsd:complexContent>
</xsd:complexType>

<xsd:element name="followup-action" substitutionGroup="process:followup-action" type="aparAssociatedWorkItemTypes"/>
</xsd:schema>

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.