It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Comparing components

Lucas Kuperman (2122) | asked Mar 16 '11, 12:56 a.m.
Hello, although i've read the documentation i still have a doubt and i'm probably seeking for guidance on understanding the compare feature. Is it true that comparing 2 different components is useless, as the result will show everything as new for one component? Does it make sense to compare different components at all? Can RTC compare at file content level instead of change set level? I ask because as a project starting to use RTC we are sharing projects in different components, ergo they don't have a change set history as of now. If i were to need a comparison of those components i see everything as new in one of them, even though many of the files are the same. Note: both components have the same root folder.

Thanks
Lucas

One answer

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Mar 16 '11, 8:43 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
We don't support the type of comparison you are asking for in the server. That is, you are correct that the comparisons the server does are change set based within each component,

You could compare two different components by loading them both into Eclipse and using the Compare with/Each Other context menu action. You can use the Load As action on the component itself to load the entire contents of the component, assuming the component selected is in a workspace.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.