It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Lab Resource reservation cross-projects in RQM

pietro marella (953130) | asked Feb 09 '11, 11:11 a.m.
Hello all -

I have a question about the lab reservation behaviour in RQM 2.0

I have defined two projects (say Project A and Project B) and one different user for each project (say User A and User B)

Both Projects have been linked to the RQM-TPM Adapter, so in both projects I can access the *same* Lab Resources, discovered by the TPM -

What I have found is that, both User A in Project A and User B in Project B can "reserve" the same machine for the same time-frame -
there is no control cross projects about the reservation of lab resources -

Can you confirm this is the expected behaviour or I'm missing something?

thanks in advance
*piero

2 answers

permanent link
Anders Malmberg (1121214) | answered Mar 31 '11, 5:43 a.m.
Hi,
yes this is the expected behavior.

I do think it is a odd behavior, I do not know of any company that have one "Test Lab" for each project. All I know about have a common Test Lab, at least they share equipment across projects.

The only way I have found that solves this issue, is to create an extra project area, called something like "Lab Management", with only one purpose, to keep track of all assets, and have all users have access to this Project Area. To book resources and to handle equipment in other ways, users have to log in to this Project Area and handle their lab resources there.

Please comment on this, as we are approaching the system / embedded development companies this will be an issue, as they have a lot of equipment shared between projects.

Best Regards,
Anders

permanent link
pietro marella (953130) | answered Apr 01 '11, 5:31 a.m.
Hi,
yes this is the expected behavior.

I do think it is a odd behavior, I do not know of any company that have one "Test Lab" for each project. All I know about have a common Test Lab, at least they share equipment across projects.

The only way I have found that solves this issue, is to create an extra project area, called something like "Lab Management", with only one purpose, to keep track of all assets, and have all users have access to this Project Area. To book resources and to handle equipment in other ways, users have to log in to this Project Area and handle their lab resources there.

Please comment on this, as we are approaching the system / embedded development companies this will be an issue, as they have a lot of equipment shared between projects.

Best Regards,

Anders

Thank you Anders,
I'm going to adopt the same process too.
Btw, I opened the following enhancement request to RQM

http://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=46595

Feel free to add your comments there: we need to push Rational to consider this requirement as soon as possible - the more we are, the best :-)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.