It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Delete custom attributes in RTC

Ashwini Malhotra (663) | asked Jan 30 '11, 1:18 a.m.
retagged Jun 15 '12, 1:30 p.m. by Evan Hughes (2.4k1318)
Is there way to delete Custom attributes that are created and no more in use. I have removed there reference from all work items and deleted them from Type and attribute section in Project config but still see these attributes while creating query.

Comments
Laura Hammond commented Mar 18 '11, 5:12 p.m. | edited Jun 15 '12, 1:29 p.m.

Did you ever figure out the answer to your question? I'm having the exact same issue!

Ashwini Malhotra commented Mar 19 '11, 2:37 a.m. | edited Jun 15 '12, 1:29 p.m.

Nope, Seems it is not possible in RTC for now.

Yohko Tanaka commented Mar 16 '12, 10:58 a.m. | edited Jun 15 '12, 1:29 p.m.

Did you find any way to resolve this situation? I'm having the same trouble.

4 answers

permanent link
Henning Sternkicker (40626) | answered Aug 22 '12, 2:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In addition: in RTC 4.0 it is now also possible to filter the "deleted", i.e. archived attributes in the "Create Query" dialogue. So if you deleted an attribute in RTC and do not want to see it while creating a query you should upgrade to 4.0 so you are able to filter those attribute types.

Comments
Dave Evans commented Nov 15 '13, 11:28 a.m.

This is not completley true. The query editor has more than one tab. In the Column Display tab, all attributes still appear. Interestingly enough, when comparing the behavior of the Column Display tab from the Eclipse client to the web client... ALL "archived" attributes appear in the Eclipse client, but some archived attributes don't appear in the web client though I am not sure why, and no option for displaying archived attributes it present.

I think IBM still has more to do, too. For example, I don't want to see archived attributes in:

1) Permissions (nobody should have permission to edit a removed attribute...but even after I manually remove those permissions so that the attribute id no longer appears anywhere in the process source, a blank box still remains there)

2) Column Options (Eclipse Client "Work Items" view where query results are displayed)

Is there really  no one who can provide help to clean out our old stuff? We would happily edit out database directly to clean them out, but I honestly am not sure there is a person at IBM that knows how because the system is so vast.

sam detweiler commented Nov 15 '13, 11:41 a.m.

you cannot delete attributes, because it would change history. you would have to delete every workitem which ever used that attribute.

thus the 'archive' attribute approach.  but as noted, one has to be careful not to confuse the users, who MAY want to use them in a query (a small number of times).

deleting workitems also changes every report.. use the power carefully.

John S F Lander commented Mar 17 '14, 9:08 a.m.

Except you could have created this attribute with an error and you want to delete without it ever being used, which is my main reason.
Attributes that have been used, i wouldn't want to delete.

permanent link
Vinay Kumar AV (17923837) | answered Aug 21 '12, 7:48 a.m.
Hi, 

Is deleting WI possible in RTC 3.0.1 today? I see workarounds mentioned above. However, I would want to have the attributes removed from the repository. There are many such attributes and want to clean it up. 

Thanks!!

Comments
James Freeman commented Aug 21 '12, 4:06 p.m.

Yes; you can delete work items with the proper permissions set. Location in eclipse: Process Configuration -> Team Configuration -> Permissions -> Actions -> Work Items -> Delete Work Item (Server) -> Delete Work Item.

No; you can not delete customized attributes.

Vinay Kumar AV commented Aug 22 '12, 3:22 a.m.

Thanks James... My apologies... I have mentioned it as deleting WI... I was keen on knowing if we have the feature to delete ATTRIBUTES.

permanent link
Natalia Trofimov (391714) | answered Jun 15 '12, 12:57 p.m.
I usually rename it to something like N/A not to confuse the users

Comments
James Freeman commented Jun 19 '12, 9:56 a.m.

That is an acceptable solution too. James

permanent link
James Freeman (161) | answered Jun 13 '12, 1:02 p.m.

Solution:

Rename the old attribute to something that will fall to the bottom of the query list. Here is what I did for an attribute that was not used in any of my workitems.

Steps: (From Eclipse)

1. Pick any workitem type, e.g., Risk.

2. Check the "Show only custom attributes" box

3. Select Add

4. Select "Reuse Existing Attribute"

5. Find the old attribute you do not want people to us in the query list in the "Attribute" pull-down box.

6. Edit the attribute you added.

7. Change the name of the attribute. Example: zOld_Completion_Time

8. Select save.

9. Now remove the attribute from the workitem.

10. Select save.

11. Repeat as necessary with all old attributes.

I know there may be an easier way, but this workaround suffices for my purposes. The users will not be confused as to which attribute to use when creating queries.

James

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.