It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to eliminate user to download draft asset

yu sun (2611) | asked Jan 17 '11, 2:42 a.m.
Hi guys, I am a freshmen to the RAM.

I got a questioin with the asset lifecycle. How can I eliminate the user's ability to download an asset in draft? I don't want anyone to use that asset before it is ready. Does RAM provides this function or I have to develop it by myself?

Thank a lot!

lyric

6 answers

permanent link
yu sun (2611) | answered Jan 19 '11, 10:01 p.m.
hi gmendel,

Thank you for your reply.
so, there is no official solution for the integration of CHANGE and RAM. only has the solution with RTC.

Is there any APIs that enable RAM server notify outside that a new asset has been uploaded and pass the new asset address link to the outside?

cheers,

lyric

The lifecycle in RAM is not to replace Change Management, it is a mean for vetting, approving consistent assets. ... the Life cycle is based on Rational Team Concert Change Management.

In regards to owner's ability to change an asset (questions in the initial post), you can have a policy that changes the owner of the asset once it is submitted, and make the owner just a collaborator.

You should consider having multiple states, where draft is where the submitter is still the owner and can fix/modify before submitting for approval. Gives the submitter some breathing time.

In regard to CM integration, RAM provide integration using the Change Management using OSLC, see https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-asset-manager/releases/7.5?p=news and https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-asset-manager/releases/7.2.0.2?p=news

You can link an asset to a set of work items, or link a discussion thread to a work item.

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Jan 18 '11, 8:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The lifecycle in RAM is not to replace Change Management, it is a mean for vetting, approving consistent assets. ... the Life cycle is based on Rational Team Concert Change Management.

In regards to owner's ability to change an asset (questions in the initial post), you can have a policy that changes the owner of the asset once it is submitted, and make the owner just a collaborator.

You should consider having multiple states, where draft is where the submitter is still the owner and can fix/modify before submitting for approval. Gives the submitter some breathing time.

In regard to CM integration, RAM provide integration using the Change Management using OSLC, see https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-asset-manager/releases/7.5?p=news and https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-asset-manager/releases/7.2.0.2?p=news

You can link an asset to a set of work items, or link a discussion thread to a work item.

permanent link
yu sun (2611) | answered Jan 18 '11, 12:06 a.m.
hello all,

another question. is there any method to integrate the rational change with the ration asset manger?

I think the RAM lifecycle is not that robust than CHANGE in process management. actually we have already purchased CHANGE. so what I want to do is use the CHANGE to incharge of the process management, and weaken or even discard the lifecycle of RAM.

the basic idea is, at first, I submit an asset at ram to draft, maybe in the eclipse client. And then the manager may see there is a verifing process in CHANGE. he also can see or download that asset from the link in change. after that, the manager may change the state of the asset in RAM lifecycle.

The important point here is can the APIs enalbe the CHANGE and RAM information exchange?

is there anyone did it before? any solution for that?

permanent link
yu sun (2611) | answered Jan 17 '11, 10:06 p.m.
thanks a lot! got it!

Hi,

There is no way to prevent the owner from updating it while in a certain
state. But there are ways to prevent others from even seeing it while it
is in a particular state.

Each state has a selection that allows you to override the standard
default roles:

Select a state in the lifecycle and select the "Advanced..." link and
will you see what the attachment shows.

This allows you to let the default roles apply, allow the default roles
to have read-only, or to prevent the default roles access entirely.

The non-defaults roles of owner, collaborator, life cycle manager, and
admin are not affected by this setting.

The collaborator roles are assigned per state, each state can be a
different set of collaborators.

The lifecycle role is assigned at the General Settings level for a
lifecycle.

The owner is whoever is assigned the owner.

The admin role is assigned to admins and apply across the community.

--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Jan 17 '11, 9:53 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

There is no way to prevent the owner from updating it while in a certain
state. But there are ways to prevent others from even seeing it while it
is in a particular state.

Each state has a selection that allows you to override the standard
default roles:

Select a state in the lifecycle and select the "Advanced..." link and
will you see what the attachment shows.

This allows you to let the default roles apply, allow the default roles
to have read-only, or to prevent the default roles access entirely.

The non-defaults roles of owner, collaborator, life cycle manager, and
admin are not affected by this setting.

The collaborator roles are assigned per state, each state can be a
different set of collaborators.

The lifecycle role is assigned at the General Settings level for a
lifecycle.

The owner is whoever is assigned the owner.

The admin role is assigned to admins and apply across the community.

--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer

permanent link
yu sun (2611) | answered Jan 17 '11, 3:37 a.m.
in my opinion, the lifecycle should be like the following way.

once the developer finishing the asset, he submits it. after the submition nobody can modify that asset even the owner. all he should do next is to wait for the result of the asset, approved or rejected.

If that asset is approved, and from then on, that asset will be a set of read only files. it can be used only by reference by others. and If it is rejected, the developer has to submit again.

As far as I know, RAM provides a series of lifecycle templates. but I can't see any different between each state in those lifecycles excluding the name. Actually in any asset state, all the community menbers can use that asset.

Is there any hidden features can implement what I said above? or APIs?

Cheers Guys!

lyric

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.