It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

resource values in oslc workitem query xml results

Clay Rowland (611) | asked Jan 12 '11, 9:42 a.m.
Is there a way to retrieve the actual value of work item attributes instead of their respective resource URIs? For example, if i want to retrieve the state of a defect, i have to retrieve the title of the state returned by

https://server/jazz/oslc/workflows/_B7pWkIqqEd-6naFoU-ISXw/states/com.ibm.team.workitem.defectWorkflow/4

this is very cumbersome when processing large numbers of work items and attributes. Is there a parameter that can be passed to a query that will allow for the title of the attribute to be returned rather than the rdf:resource attribute?

4 answers

permanent link
Paul Romanus (3355) | answered May 26 '12, 2:32 a.m.
Hi

When querying for a set of Workitems using the nested properties syntax in the oslc.select 'clause' as directed above - only the first discrete value of the value is returned e.g. submitting a query with 'oslc.select' defined as below:

... ?oslc.properties=dcterms:title,dcterms:creator{foaf:name}&oslc.where=...

Gives the resultset below:

e.g. each of the 3 Workitems below has the same creator - but only the first discrete instance is resolved to the selected nested property e.g. foaf:name - me - in this case.

If there are multiple different creators then again only the first instance of the nested property (foaf:name} is returned in the resultset.

grr .. ok .. so I can see that this could be justified ... just .. in the basis of some kind of performance grounds whereby only the first instance of a nested property is resolved and should be subsequently cached and resolved by the parsing program .. but I had expected that each result(work item) in the resultset would have all it's selected attributes fully resolved - e.g. like any other tool / db (at least that I've used) does.

So...
1/ Can I force all results ( workitems ) to fully resolve their selected nested properties?

2/ If not, and as all I want to do in this case is transform the oslc output to a simpler xml/json format to be consumed by a dojo Datagrid - could someone suggest a xslt I can apply (example) whereby I can prehaps cache the resolved properties and resolve subsequently non-resolved fields in one stylesheet ?

<xml>
<rdf>
<rdf>
<rdfs>
<oslc_cm>
<dcterms>Test Summary One</dcterms>
<dcterms>
<foaf>
<foaf>Paul Romanus</foaf>
</foaf>
</dcterms>
</oslc_cm>
</rdfs>
<rdfs>
<oslc_cm>
<dcterms>Test</dcterms>
<dcterms>
</oslc_cm>
</rdfs>
<rdfs>
<oslc_cm>
<dcterms>Some problems ...</dcterms>
<dcterms>
</oslc_cm>
</rdfs>
</rdf>
<oslc>
<dcterms>Work Items</dcterms>
<oslc>3</oslc>
</oslc>
</rdf>

permanent link
Clay Rowland (611) | answered Jan 18 '11, 2:35 p.m.
Patrick, thanks for the tip. that is exactly what i was looking for.

permanent link
Patrick Streule (4.9k21) | answered Jan 18 '11, 6:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On 1/12/11 3:53 PM, crowland wrote:
Is there a way to retrieve the actual value of work item attributes
instead of their respective resource URIs? For example, if i want to
retrieve the state of a defect, i have to retrieve the title of the
state returned by

https://server/jazz/oslc/workflows/_B7pWkIqqEd-6naFoU-ISXw/states/com.ibm.team.workitem.defectWorkflow/4

this is very cumbersome when processing large numbers of work items
and attributes. Is there a parameter that can be passed to a query
that will allow for the title of the attribute to be returned rather
than the rdf:resource attribute?

There is a way (both in the 1.0 and the 2.0 spec). Please see:

http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreSpecification?sortcol=table;up=#Selective_Property_Values

--
Regards,
Patrick
RTC Work Item Component Lead

permanent link
Brent Barkman (156) | answered Jan 13 '11, 10:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
AFAIK thats by design and it actually makes a lot of sense if you think about... REST -> everything is a resource. Anyway you can start caching things like state because they rarely change and that'll save you the extra call each time.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.