It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC Web UI Extremely slow/buggy

John Denstalli (162) | asked Jan 11 '11, 9:05 a.m.
Hello,

We have been using RequisitePro for many years and decided to make the switch to RRC. We find with any project containing more than 5,000 requirements the tool is unusable in a production environment. The WEBUI continuously crashes and is the slowest web application we have used to date. I am wondering... are we the only company having horrible experiences with this tool? I can't imagine by the sheer number of issues we are having with a limited number of users that we are the only people experiencing these issues.

John

5 answers

permanent link
tina zhuo (8133) | answered Jan 11 '11, 9:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,

Which version of RRC are you using?

Thanks,
Tina

Hello,

We have been using RequisitePro for many years and decided to make the switch to RRC. We find with any project containing more than 5,000 requirements the tool is unusable in a production environment. The WEBUI continuously crashes and is the slowest web application we have used to date. I am wondering... are we the only company having horrible experiences with this tool? I can't imagine by the sheer number of issues we are having with a limited number of users that we are the only people experiencing these issues.

John

permanent link
John Denstalli (162) | answered Jan 11 '11, 3:05 p.m.
2.0.0.2. We were told that this version would perform better than 1.0 which is obviously not the case.

permanent link
John Denstalli (162) | answered Jan 11 '11, 8:50 p.m.
I apologize for the negative demeanor but the frustration within our organization in respect to the shear number of issues we are experiencing with RRC needs to be addressed. We called a support person and all he had to say was "Yeah RRC Web is a nightmare to support due to it's scalability issues and instability. Are we doomed????". I am not too confident...

Are there any special tuning guidelines that need to be implemented? Can anyone else share any of their experiences?

Can requirement be transported from RRC into RequisitePro/RequisiteWeb?

Is this the correct forum for these questions? The lack of response to this forum lends me to believe I'm in the wrong place or everyone within development, product management, support, etc are hiding under their desks.

Please help.

John

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jan 12 '11, 2:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I apologize for the negative demeanor but the frustration within our organization in respect to the shear number of issues we are experiencing with RRC needs to be addressed. We called a support person and all he had to say was "Yeah RRC Web is a nightmare to support due to it's scalability issues and instability. Are we doomed????". I am not too confident...

Are there any special tuning guidelines that need to be implemented? Can anyone else share any of their experiences?

Can requirement be transported from RRC into RequisitePro/RequisiteWeb?

Is this the correct forum for these questions? The lack of response to this forum lends me to believe I'm in the wrong place or everyone within development, product management, support, etc are hiding under their desks.

Please help.

John

Hi John,

I am sorry you are having performance problems and have not got the help you need from IBM. Please note that development team are continually improving the performance of the server and the clients as evident by this V2 server performance whitepaper (with recommend server sizing) for 500 users and 100K resources (requirements) - see table 3.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/rrcperformanceandscalablitytestresults/index.html

And the release of RRC V2.0.0.3

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-requirements-composer/releases/2.0.0.3?p=news

which has fixed performance problems identified in customers environments not seen in our own usage and testing of RRC.

Here is a work item to a V2.0.0.3 SVT performance testing task we performed

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Rational%20Requirements%20Composer#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=26442

for

Size of Repository : 2GB, 10K assets (requirements etc), User Load: 500 users

Now in regards to the web client, personally I have noticed that both IE8 and Firefox 3.6.13 run faster, with more stability than IE7. I don't know whether you are running IE7 but it is something to look at. We are continually improving the web client experience, including adding more functionality with better performance so that in the next major version of RRC only a web client will be needed. We are already using this newer client internally for the development of the next version, upgrading to each new beta release. Performance is something we look at very closely but also understand that customers might have their own unique environment which differs from our own experience. Hence needing the IBM customers support programs to identify these differences.

If you are already following the recommended server sizings, especially disc and memory, and are using the latest browsers, with little network hops (I have 15 between my client and the server) and latency (<200ms), then I encourage you to follow up with IBM Tech Support with specific performance problems so the IBM team can help you solve your problems.

Now in regards to synchronizing requirements between RRC and RequisitePro projects, that is one of the major features of RRC V2. All it needs is RequisitePro running a commercial database DB2, Oracle or SQL Server, and user security to be set on the RequisitePro project - ideally using ldap so the user names are the same in both products. Synchronization between a RequisitePro project and one in RRC, can be either both ways, or one-way from RRC to RequisitePro or RequisitePro to RRC.

A description of this can be found in the RRC help under the topic "Integrating Rational Requirements Composer and Rational RequisitePro
"

The latest versions of RRC (V2.0.0.3) and RequisitePro (7.1.1.4 and 7.1.2.1) contain the latest functionality and performance improvements in the synchronization.

permanent link
Muhtar Akbulut (9111) | answered Jan 12 '11, 11:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,

5000 per project is not a huge number, and RRC should not have a problem in such a project. Few questions:

- Which browser do you use?
- How does rich client perform, compared to the web client?
- Are these 5000 requirements all text? If no, what is the ratio of graphical to text artifacts?

Thanks
Burak

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.