It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

scm diff -d c:\x file "pathto/afile.java" workspac

Bernd van Oostrum (21725371) | asked Dec 28 '10, 9:28 a.m.
If I commit the changes to my file "afile.java" into my repository workspace "A Test", and execute

scm diff -d c:\x file "pathto/afile.java" workspace "A Test"

no changes are detected. Only after delivering the changes into the stream, they become visible with scm.exe diff

Why?

Regards,
Bernd.

5 answers

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Jan 03 '11, 12:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The 'scm diff file ...' will compare the local file changes with that of the file in the repository workspace. Once you have committed the file there is no difference between the local copy of the file and the file in the repository workspace. If you want to see the changes that you have committed (which is in a changeset) use 'scm diff changeset...'.

I am not sure how it displayed the diff after delivering the changes to the stream. Did you run the same command or diff'ed the file with the stream? Even then it should not show any differences if the local file has not been changed after delivery.

If I commit the changes to my file "afile.java" into my repository workspace "A Test", and execute

scm diff -d c:\x file "pathto/afile.java" workspace "A Test"

no changes are detected. Only after delivering the changes into the stream, they become visible with scm.exe diff

Why?

Regards,
Bernd.

permanent link
Bernd van Oostrum (21725371) | answered Jan 03 '11, 4:29 a.m.
Hi Shashikant,

In fact I have 2 workspaces loaded to the filesystem. The first is the 'reference' workspace, which is the 'old' version.
The second is the workspace to which changes are committed.

When comparing the 'old' one to the changed one, 'SCM diff' does NOT detect changes. After delivering the changes into the stream, the changes are detected (using the same command twice)

Regards,
Bernd.

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Jan 04 '11, 1:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
>> When comparing the 'old' one to the changed one, 'SCM diff' does NOT detect changes.
In your sample command... scm diff -d c:\x file "pathto/afile.java" workspace "A Test", I am assuming the reference workspace (old one) is loaded in c:\x and you are comparing the file pathto/afile.java with the changed workspace which is "A Test". If that is the case, it should show the differences.

If I have understood it incorrectly, could you run 'scm status' on the both the loaded workspaces and paste the output.

Hi Shashikant,

In fact I have 2 workspaces loaded to the filesystem. The first is the 'reference' workspace, which is the 'old' version.
The second is the workspace to which changes are committed.

When comparing the 'old' one to the changed one, 'SCM diff' does NOT detect changes. After delivering the changes into the stream, the changes are detected (using the same command twice)

Regards,
Bernd.

permanent link
Bernd van Oostrum (21725371) | answered Jan 04 '11, 3:54 a.m.
Hi Shashikant,

Your assumption is right: the reference workspace is loaded in c:\x and I compare a file in it with the contents of the changed repository workspace.

The problem / strange thing is that changes (even when committed) are NOT detected by the command. They are only detected after delivering them into the STREAM which makes no sense because I am comparing with the WORKSPACE...

Regards,
Bernd.

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Jan 04 '11, 11:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I tried it on 2.x and it works. Are you running RTC 2.x or 3.0?
Please open a defect with the exact steps. Thanks.

Hi Shashikant,

Your assumption is right: the reference workspace is loaded in c:\x and I compare a file in it with the contents of the changed repository workspace.

The problem / strange thing is that changes (even when committed) are NOT detected by the command. They are only detected after delivering them into the STREAM which makes no sense because I am comparing with the WORKSPACE...

Regards,
Bernd.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.