It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Endevor with Rational Team Concert?

Jeff Crowder (11) | asked Dec 14 '10, 2:28 p.m.
I am evaluating Rational Team Concert for large team environment consisting of Java and mainframe developers. There are compelling reasons to retain Endevor for configuration/release management of mainframe code. Are there any ways (either through integration, or procedurally) that RTC can or should be used alongside Endevor?

Thanks!
-Jeff

One answer

permanent link
Nicolas Dangeville (31632425) | answered Dec 17 '10, 8:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am evaluating Rational Team Concert for large team environment consisting of Java and mainframe developers. There are compelling reasons to retain Endevor for configuration/release management of mainframe code. Are there any ways (either through integration, or procedurally) that RTC can or should be used alongside Endevor?

Thanks!
-Jeff

It is possible to integrate RTC with an external mainframe tool (namely endevor here). A possible scenario would be to drive the external tool from RTC with the use of work-items.
You could create, for example, a new type of work-item (e.g. external) and a new workflow (with actions such as "promote" and states such as "promoted"). Custom fields of the work-item would capture information relevant for the external system (e.g. CCID).
http://jazz.net/library/article/477 explains how you can customize the process, add a follow-up action to the work-item save and trigger a build of your choice when the work-item reaches a certain state.

The build itself can trigger a JCL on the mainframe (directly or indrectly - in my case I run as a pre-build command a REXX script that generates a JCL and pass the parameters obtained from the work-item custom fields. The generated JCL runs next as a build command).
Lastly, by using the REST / OSLC API of the work-items (see https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ResourceOrientedWorkItemAPIv2), you could, as a last step of the JCL, update the work-item (add a comment, set a fields, change state).

Regards,

Nicolas

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.