It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How defect approvals are working ?

Michael Sternberg (8181) | asked Dec 13 '10, 8:57 a.m.
Hello everybody. We are planning to use RTC with Visual Studio plug-in and I need to implement the following functionality in the process:
  • Before delivering the code I need that somebody to perform a code review.
  • Before closing the defect I need somebody to verify this fix.
As I mentioned - we're working in VS plug-in, which means no "client" pre-condition rules are supported, so I have to use "server" pre-conditions only. What pre-condition rules should I define in Process Configuration Operation Behavior to make sure that without mentioned approvals "deliver" and "verify" actions will be not performed ? Oh, and I need probably to change "Approval Tracking" for appropriate workflow..

5 answers

permanent link
Kevin Dunphy (1645) | answered Dec 18 '12, 9:40 a.m.
On a related note -- for those of us using the Eclipse client or the Web client (where we DO have client-side support) is there a way to pre-populate new Approvals with the authorized set of Approvers?  Our project is now requiring two of seven approvers -- it'd be great if each developer didn't need to keep a post-it with the list of approvers' names.

permanent link
Michael Sternberg (8181) | answered Dec 22 '10, 5:30 a.m.
Did you change the operation behavior for the team area or the project area?

It's impossible to change operation behavior related to Source Control in process area. The only operation behaviors that available for customization there are Dashboards (save personal dashboard/save project dashboard).

Here's exact scenario of configuration that I've done:
  1. Right click on project name in Team Artifacts, choose "open".
  2. Choose "Process configuration" tab at the bottom.
  3. Expand "Team Configuration" tree.
  4. Choose "Operation Behavior".
  5. Scroll down, expand "Source Control" tree.
  6. Click on intersection of "Everyone" column and "Deliver (server)" row.
  7. Check "Preconditions and follow-up.." checkmark.
  8. Press "Add" button and choose "Require Work Item Approval".
  9. In "Required approvals:" area press "New" button.
  10. Choose "Review: 1 Developer".
  11. Save the project.

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Dec 22 '10, 5:10 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Did you change the operation behavior for the team area or the project area?

permanent link
Michael Sternberg (8181) | answered Dec 16 '10, 4:19 a.m.
OK,

If you go into the process configuration tab for your project, and navigate to Team Configuration -> Operation Behavior, you will see a bunch of operations that you can trigger events on. Scroll down that list until you get to Source Control -> Deliver (Server). Then check the preconditions box, and ADD the Require Work Item Approval pre-condition. Once you have added this, you should then configure it by filling in the Required Approvals that you want to see. This is done based on role, so for a code review you should have at least one person in the developer role code review and mark the work item as approved.

For defect approvals/verification, the operational behavior is under Work Items -> Save Work Item (Server), and the precondition that you need to add is called Required Approvals. Just select the Defect work item type, and the states where a verification approval is needed.

Using these two operational behaviors should give you what you are looking for.

Doesn't seems to be working :(

In Process Configuration -> Team Configuration -> Source Control -> Deliver (server) I've defined following condition for Everyone: "Require Work Item Approval". In "Required Approvals" I've added "Review: 1 Developer".

I'm working in Eclipse RTC 3.0 Client, "formal" process template. There are two users in the same team, both have roles "Developer" in that team.

First user created a defect, moved it into "In Progress" state, performed code changes, checked-in files into a new changeset, associated it with this defect. Added approval of type "Review", added second user as Approver. Saved the defect. Logged in as second user, changed approval state to "Approved". Saved the defect. Logged in as first user and tried to deliver the changeset.

Result: "Missing approval prevents delivery: Work item 26 is missing 1 approval of type "Review" (Developer role)".

UPDATE: everything works when I'm not working with team members. With developers, that belong to project itself and not to the team it's OK.

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Dec 13 '10, 1:06 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
OK,

If you go into the process configuration tab for your project, and navigate to Team Configuration -> Operation Behavior, you will see a bunch of operations that you can trigger events on. Scroll down that list until you get to Source Control -> Deliver (Server). Then check the preconditions box, and ADD the Require Work Item Approval pre-condition. Once you have added this, you should then configure it by filling in the Required Approvals that you want to see. This is done based on role, so for a code review you should have at least one person in the developer role code review and mark the work item as approved.

For defect approvals/verification, the operational behavior is under Work Items -> Save Work Item (Server), and the precondition that you need to add is called Required Approvals. Just select the Defect work item type, and the states where a verification approval is needed.

Using these two operational behaviors should give you what you are looking for.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.