It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to setup build on Linux GNU make?

ajax chai (1153) | asked Dec 12 '10, 10:26 p.m.
Hi,

I install my RTC on RedHat Linux Enterprise Server5.4 and I am also use this
Server (use default gcc/g++, gnu make) as my build machine since my team and project is small.

My project is using C++ and GNU Make to build it (gcc and g++). I am sharing my local project to the RTC server, and other team member can load it and build locally successfully (that is to use local/client Eclipse C/C++ environment of Linux desktop to pass the build). Now I want to setup a build engine on my server such that client user (team member) can request a faster build on server (I have a strong/fast server hardware).

Can someone give some guideline on how to setup this?
I search all the jazz.net, I only got one document:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CppBuild,

but when I follow this guideline, I failed, since I don't know how to set "the directory containing the C++ project's makefile" and "how to select working space". I am using RTC3.0 10 user version.

Appreciate if someone can give guideline on this.

thanks a lot in advance.

Ajax Chai

3 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Dec 15 '10, 5:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Great, glad to hear. Note that options like Jazz Source Control can be changed after the fact via the 'Edit Configuration' item in the build definition editor's header menu.

permanent link
ajax chai (1153) | answered Dec 15 '10, 4:24 a.m.
Hi Ajax,

I suggest going through the Build section of the RTC tutorial, and/or the section in the doc on setting up builds. See the first entry in the build FAQ for links:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BuildFAQ

But the basic steps you need to do are:
- create a build engine item (via the Builds/Build Engines node in the Team Artifacts view), give it an id, e.g. 'engine1', save

- create a build definition (via the Builds node); you probably want to choose the 'Command Line - Jazz Build Engine' template
- assuming you have your project under Jazz source control, check the option for Jazz SCM in the definition wizard (pre-build options page)

- configure the build definition:
- in the overview page, choose engine1 as the supporting engine
- in the Jazz Source Control page, (a) point it to a dedicated build workspace (or create one at this point) that has your stream as its flow target, and (b) set the load directory that you want to use on the build machine
- in the Command Line page, set the command line and working directory you want to use to invoke Make, e.g. set the working directory to correspond to the project folder under the load directory (the one with the makefile), and set the command to 'make'

- install the build system toolkit on the build machine (if you haven't already)

- run JBE, e.g.
jbe -repository {your repository URL} -engineId engine1 -userId {user id for user that owns the build workspace} -pass {password for that user} -verbose

- try requesting a build

Thanks for your reply, yes, the first time when I followed the guideline to create the build definition, I just clicked finish directly -- this will cause no
build workspace selection page. later I just follow the guideline step by step, then it have the page to select the build workspace, then it works.

Thanks again.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Dec 14 '10, 12:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ajax,

I suggest going through the Build section of the RTC tutorial, and/or the section in the doc on setting up builds. See the first entry in the build FAQ for links:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BuildFAQ

But the basic steps you need to do are:
- create a build engine item (via the Builds/Build Engines node in the Team Artifacts view), give it an id, e.g. 'engine1', save

- create a build definition (via the Builds node); you probably want to choose the 'Command Line - Jazz Build Engine' template
- assuming you have your project under Jazz source control, check the option for Jazz SCM in the definition wizard (pre-build options page)

- configure the build definition:
- in the overview page, choose engine1 as the supporting engine
- in the Jazz Source Control page, (a) point it to a dedicated build workspace (or create one at this point) that has your stream as its flow target, and (b) set the load directory that you want to use on the build machine
- in the Command Line page, set the command line and working directory you want to use to invoke Make, e.g. set the working directory to correspond to the project folder under the load directory (the one with the makefile), and set the command to 'make'

- install the build system toolkit on the build machine (if you haven't already)

- run JBE, e.g.
jbe -repository {your repository URL} -engineId engine1 -userId {user id for user that owns the build workspace} -pass {password for that user} -verbose

- try requesting a build

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.