It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz Services for sending messages between clients?

Jerrod Lankford (211010) | asked Dec 03 '10, 4:34 p.m.
I currently have a project that contains two plug-ins, one is a server-side plug-in and the other is client side. The server-side plug-in writes to custom tables in the database in order to store session information for this plug-in. The client has the ability to start and stop sessions, join/leave etc. The problem is the users were wondering if it would be possible to get rid of the server component of the project. I don't need to store any information in the database, so to my actual question.

Are there any services provided by the jazz server that allow for passing of messages (or objects similiar to RMI)? What would be the best way to do something like this?

3 answers

permanent link
Jerrod Lankford (211010) | answered Dec 05 '10, 3:11 p.m.
Just curious: what's their motivation for not having a server plug-in?

Not exactly sure. I assume its something to do with having to contact the server administrators to install the server plug-in. Thanks for your response.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Dec 05 '10, 12:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Just curious: what's their motivation for not having a server plug-in?

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Dec 05 '10, 11:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There's no direct way of communicating from client to client, at least not with what's in RTC out-of-the-box. Generally all of our notifications are done via feeds over events stored on the server.

For example, when you add a comment to a work item, it not only updates the work item but generates a 'work item changed' event. Then, on the client side, feeds like the 'My Work Item Changes' feed are fetched periodically. These feeds are (generally) based on the available events.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.