It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Number of Databases in RTC 3.0

Martin Erzberger (131199) | asked Nov 16 '10, 2:42 p.m.
When reading the installation instructions for RTC 3.0, I am confused about the databases and DB users required. What I try is this:
- JTS and CCM (=equivalent of RTC 2) on one Server
- Oracle Database (11g) on another server

On the one hand, the installation instructions ask me to define one database per server. This means I need two: One for JTS, one for CCM. Each DB has one DB user.

On the other hand, some instructions ask me to setup a database for Data Warehouse.

-> Do I need a third database? Or do I need two more databases (one warehouse DB per server)? How many DB users do I need for the warehouse? One per server (if so, why? Which user owns the schema? Do I need a tablespace per user or one tablespace overall)?

Last question: Our DB admins tell me that there is no need for a temp tablespace in Oracle 11g. Can you confirm this?

Many thanks for any clarification and best regards,
Martin

Comments
mike brosnan commented May 13 '11, 5:49 a.m. | edited May 13 '13, 2:59 a.m.

I'm installing RTC 3.0.1 RC2 and I'm stuck at the jts/setup wizard on datawarehouse.

I have a database for CCM and JTS set up.

Do I also need to create a database for datawarehouse? Has this changed in 3.0.1?

regards

Mike Brosnan

mike brosnan commented May 13 '11, 8:03 a.m. | edited May 13 '13, 2:59 a.m.

Are there any sizing guidelines available for the tablespaces for the databases?

How does the size of the datawarehouse relate to the CCM and JTS database sizes?

Mike,

there are more options for the datawarehouse. For just trying you could go with Derby. Otherwise you would need another Database for that, either for the built in reporting or common reporting.

Ralph

I'm installing RTC 3.0.1 RC2 and I'm stuck at the jts/setup wizard on datawarehouse.

Do I also need to create a database for datawarehouse? Has this changed in 3.0.1?

regards

Mike Brosnan

Ralph Schoon commented May 13 '11, 8:12 a.m. | edited May 13 '13, 3:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Mike,

I will feed back your request. Since this is a beta we have only limited documentation available.

Ralph

Are there any sizing guidelines available for the tablespaces for the databases?

How does the size of the datawarehouse relate to the CCM and JTS database sizes?

Mike,

there are more options for the datawarehouse. For just trying you could go with Derby. Otherwise you would need another Database for that, either for the built in reporting or common reporting.

Ralph

regards

Mike Brosnan

mike brosnan commented Jun 22 '11, 12:20 p.m. | edited May 13 '13, 3:00 a.m.

Any update on the relative sizes of the databases? We are upgrading from 2.0.0.2 to 3.0.1?

regards

Mike

Mike,

I will feed back your request. Since this is a beta we have only limited documentation available.

Ralph

Mike,

Ralph

regards

Mike Brosnan

7 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 22 '11, 1:17 p.m.
This is what we have: https://jazz.net/library/article/641

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 13 '11, 6:02 a.m.
Mike,

Ralph

regards

Mike Brosnan

permanent link
Stefano Antoniazzi (1701711) | answered Jan 04 '11, 10:40 a.m.
The really importanti link to understand this issue is:

http://jazz.net/library/content/articles/rtc/3.0/upgrading-rtc2x-to-30/

Now it's clear. I defined different users on Oracle for ccm and jts and then the setup wizard did the job for the data DATAWHAREHOUSE..

permanent link
Stefano Antoniazzi (1701711) | answered Jan 03 '11, 7:16 a.m.
When reading the installation instructions for RTC 3.0, I am confused about the databases and DB users required. What I try is this:

On the one hand, the installation instructions ask me to define one database per server. This means I need two: One for JTS, one for CCM. Each DB has one DB user.

On the other hand, some instructions ask me to setup a database for Data Warehouse.

I'm in a very similar situation but I didn't find docs about the definition of different users (as you wrote: jts, ccm and data warehouse).

I'm just wondering how to customize the teamserver.properties found in the jts directory as the "official" documentation is just about a "jazz" (now ccm) directory.
Could you please point to a link to understand this "3 users" need?
Thanks!

Comments
Stefano Antoniazzi commented Sep 12 '13, 11:22 a.m.

The right link about understanding datawarehouse is here:

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 17 '10, 2:52 a.m.
Hi Martin,

yes, the link shows the help under development.

Today the DB2 description in https://jazz.net/help-dev/rational-team-concert/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_s_server_installation_setup_oracle.html, at the first glance, looks pretty much like the latest I had seen and probably is very similar to the final one.

Glad you could save some internal costs.

Ralph

Hello Ralph

Thank you for the clarification! Last week I was looking here: https://jazz.net/help-dev/rational-team-concert/index.jsp
I guess the "dev"-part of the URL means "still in development."
I re-checked today, and now the explanations are clear and in-line with your response. I hope the "one tablespace per server" option you mentioned will be tested and documented in a later RTC release. Anyway, it sounds plausible and I'll try to set it up this way: In our environment they actually charge per database, so I can save some virtual money by using just one.

Best regards, Martin

permanent link
Martin Erzberger (131199) | answered Nov 17 '10, 2:39 a.m.
Hello Ralph

Thank you for the clarification! Last week I was looking here: https://jazz.net/help-dev/rational-team-concert/index.jsp
I guess the "dev"-part of the URL means "still in development."
I re-checked today, and now the explanations are clear and in-line with your response. I hope the "one tablespace per server" option you mentioned will be tested and documented in a later RTC release. Anyway, it sounds plausible and I'll try to set it up this way: In our environment they actually charge per database, so I can save some virtual money by using just one.

Best regards, Martin

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 17 '10, 2:05 a.m.
Hi Martin,

we are in the process of finalizing the documentation. You confusion is probably a result from installing early betas.

To install RTC3.0 (RC3) you require two databases. One for the Jazz Team Server application and one for the CCM (RTC) application.

That is implemented different for different DBMS vendors. In DB2 you need two DB's. I can't really comment on Oracle, since I have no experience with it from an Admin perspective. But I remember hearing you could get along with one DB but separate tablespaces and users for the applications. You should wait for the finalized documentation. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

RTC3.0 has an internal data warehouse that provides the data for the internal reporting. You refer to in Beta1 we had an additional data warehouse for common reporting. That does not show up anymore in the current install.

Thanks,

Ralph

-> Do I need a third database? Or do I need two more databases (one warehouse DB per server)? How many DB users do I need for the warehouse? One per server (if so, why? Which user owns the schema? Do I need a tablespace per user or one tablespace overall)?

Last question: Our DB admins tell me that there is no need for a temp tablespace in Oracle 11g. Can you confirm this?

Many thanks for any clarification and best regards,
Martin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.