It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can caterory selection be enforced when creating an asse

Tony Altamura (121314) | asked Nov 06 '10, 8:42 p.m.
Similar to constraints and attributes being made mandatory when creating an asset, I want to make category selection mandatory. How is this achieved? I am using RAM 7.5.

8 answers

permanent link
Rogério Ramos da Silva (3352827) | answered Nov 22 '10, 3:00 p.m.
yes, it does not block the asset creation, but it can inhibit it from moving from (say) Draft to Publish

Exactly, but I've one variation about lifecycle.
My assets can be designed for 2 possibles lifecycles, and choose among one and other is category dependent.

I solved this problem put the users as collaborators in the first state, restarting them when the asset is saved and like @gmendel says inhibiting at the states change.

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Nov 22 '10, 2:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
yes, it does not block the asset creation, but it can inhibit it from moving from (say) Draft to Publish

permanent link
Sheehan Anderson (1.2k4) | answered Nov 10 '10, 2:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You're correct that you can not use the Category Validation Policy to block the asset creation. One option is to use a two state lifecycle (for example, the default Simple lifecycle) and set up a transition rule stating that the Category Validation Policy must be approved to move from the Submitted to Approved state. Then, you could override all permissions for the Submitted state so that only collaborators will see the asset when it is in this state. For the asset to be visible to the community, it would have to be moved to the Approved state which would only be possible once the Category Validation Policy has passed.

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Nov 10 '10, 2:08 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

There is no way to block asset creation. If the user has the authority
to create assets then the user can create them.

--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer

permanent link
Rogério Ramos da Silva (3352827) | answered Nov 10 '10, 1:25 p.m.
There is a 'Category Validation Policy' which you can use to ensure that categories were selected under a specific schema or hierarchy. For example, if you had a 'Geography' schema you could ensure that a category was selected under this schema.

Hi All,

I've the same @taltamura needs. In my case, the selected category define which lifecycle will be used for the added asset. In this time the "Category Validation Policy" doesn't works, or at least, doesn't block the asset creation.

permanent link
Sheehan Anderson (1.2k4) | answered Nov 10 '10, 10:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is a 'Category Validation Policy' which you can use to ensure that categories were selected under a specific schema or hierarchy. For example, if you had a 'Geography' schema you could ensure that a category was selected under this schema.

permanent link
Tony Altamura (121314) | answered Nov 08 '10, 7:18 p.m.
The category to aassociate to an asset cannot be derived so this doesn't help, we need an end user to add the categories. Is there a policy we could use when a state change occurs to validate that a category has been selected as validation before changing state?

permanent link
Sheehan Anderson (1.2k4) | answered Nov 08 '10, 8:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
One option would be to use a lifecycle and add the 'Categorize Asset Policy' to the first state. This will automatically categorize the asset when it is submitted and the submitter will not have to make a category selection.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.