It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing RAM 7.5 on WAS ND 7.0.0.11

Daniel Stefan Haischt (21412322) | asked Oct 25 '10, 9:17 a.m.
Hi,

I am trying to install RAM 7.5 on a WAS V7 network deployment infrastructure. What I did so far is manually installing the RAM setup application on a dedicated RAM node managed by the WAS deployment manager (as described in the info center under "Deploying the server setup application to a Websphere Application Server cluster").

Note: It's not really a high-availability cluster I am using but a single deployment manager, managing several WAS app server nodes residing on the same machine.

If accessing the setup application via /ram.setup I am trapped by an issue that the text field (combo box) for "Server or cluster:" is unavailable and thus I can't proceed to the next step. I certainly could manually type in the URL of any proceeding wizard step being part of the setup flow but I suspect that's not the way to go.

How to solve this issue? Any idea?

Cheers
Daniel

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rajasimhan Mandayam (3811144) | answered Oct 26 '10, 3:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
you need a cluster on a Deployment manager, try creating a cluster with one app server.

since you already have RTC deployed, in Setup you can choose to connect to that external RTC server (and not install a RTC, I believe Setup will not let you install an RTC if one is already in place).
Daniel Stefan Haischt selected this answer as the correct answer

7 other answers

permanent link
Rajasimhan Mandayam (3811144) | answered Oct 26 '10, 11:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Do you have at least one cluster, Setup will not allow you to proceed with installation

In addition you also need an app server which is not part of any cluster, this is where RTC is deployed

permanent link
Daniel Stefan Haischt (21412322) | answered Oct 26 '10, 12:45 p.m.
Do you have at least one cluster, Setup will not allow you to proceed with installation

In addition you also need an app server which is not part of any cluster, this is where RTC is deployed

Right now I did not define a cluster. I only have a deployment manager managing an RTC, RRC, RQM and RAM application server node.

Cheers
Daniel

permanent link
Daniel Stefan Haischt (21412322) | answered Oct 26 '10, 4:00 p.m.
you need a cluster on a Deployment manager, try creating a cluster with one app server.

since you already have RTC deployed, in Setup you can choose to connect to that external RTC server (and not install a RTC, I believe Setup will not let you install an RTC if one is already in place).

Okay thanks. In the meantime I setup a cluster with exactly one member which is the RAM WAS node. Now the cluster will be recognized accordingly.

The interesting thing is that the setup routine randomly selects a standalone WAS node to install RTC on. Thus I manually installed RTC on a standalone node and specified to re-use an existing RTC installation.

Going to configure RTC. I'll keep you posted if I run into other issues.

Cheers
Daniel

permanent link
Daniel Stefan Haischt (21412322) | answered Oct 27 '10, 8:21 a.m.
I finally completely ran through the setup wizard steps without facing any issues. I am using a standalone RTC instance running on a separate WAS node.

Although while running the setup wizard the license server test was successful it isn't if trying to access the fully configured RAM system. What I get there if trying to access the main RAM portal site is the following message:

No valid license managers could be instantiated. There is an installation problem.

The WAS log files and the RAM debug log file don't contain a real indication what could be the root cause for the license server issue. What I already checked is whether the license server is running and whether RAM licenses can be issued and those tests were all successful.

Any ideas how to trace this license server issue?

Cheers
Daniel

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Oct 29 '10, 6:50 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

What is your computer:

a) Win32, Win64, Redhat 32/64, SUSE 32/64?

b) What Websphere did you install, 32 bit or 64 bit Websphere?

--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer

permanent link
Daniel Stefan Haischt (21412322) | answered Oct 30 '10, 4:43 a.m.
Hi,

What is your computer:

a) Win32, Win64, Redhat 32/64, SUSE 32/64?

b) What Websphere did you install, 32 bit or 64 bit Websphere?

--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer

My Configuration is as follows:

* Win 2008 Server SR2 64Bit
* WebSphere App Server ND 7.0.0.11 64Bit

Note: In the meantime I downgraded to Win 2003 Server SP2 64Bit cause I as well had issues installing Rational Insight on Win 2008 Server SP2 where it installed successfully on Win 2003 Server SP2 64Bit which gave me the impression that Win 2008 Server 64Bit may be too much of a burden.

I'll let you know how the installation of RAM 7.5 on Win 2003 Server SP2 64Bit goes.

Cheers
Daniel

permanent link
Daniel Stefan Haischt (21412322) | answered Nov 01 '10, 11:08 a.m.
Hi,

Looks like the issue with the license server was, that I was using the fully qualified domain name for the license server during the setup. The issue seems to be gone if setting the license server URL to port@hostname without using the domain name as a postfix to the hostname.

Cheers
Daniel

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.