It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

automatic generation of release notes (clearcase diffbl eq)

Michael Harris (2114) | asked Sep 21 '10, 5:23 p.m.
We have migrated from ClearCase to RTC. In ClearCase, we used UCM and as part of our build process, we used the ClearCase diffbl, lsbl, and lsactivity commands to automatically generate release notes for us.

In other words, on every build, we dumped out every baseline between the current one and some known baseline in the past (start of release or end of last beta for example). For each baseline, we listed the name of every work item and the developer that made the change. So it looked like this:

baseline 10
john Fixed problem w
sally Implemented feature x

baseline 9
john Fixed problem y
mary Implemented feature z

baseline 8

How can I accomplish something like this in the RTC build.

3 answers

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Sep 22 '10, 11:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If there were a way to list the baselines, I could call scm compare in a loop comparing each baseline with the previous one. Is there a way to list baselines?

'scm compare' doesn't take a component's history into account, so it won't show baselines. Similarly, the CLI can't currently list baselines in a component's history.

I've opened an enhancement request for the CLI to show baselines.

e

permanent link
Michael Harris (2114) | answered Sep 22 '10, 2:11 a.m.
My goal is to generate a list of changes that will be inserted into our HTML documentation. This information is for people who use our deliverables, but do not have access to our RTC environment. I cannot use version 3.0 yet so, it looks like the "scm compare" command is my only option. Fortunately, it seems to do a lot of what I want. For example:

scm compare baseline myproductname-3.0.0_20100819-0300 baseline myproductname-3.0.0_20100921-0922 -c mycomponent -C {email} -f i -I sw -S c -r https://jazzserverurl.com:8017/jazz/ -u myuserid -P mypassword

What I haven't been able to figure out is how to configure the output of scm compare to group the information by baseline name. -I b doesn't seem to list what I want.

If there were a way to list the baselines, I could call scm compare in a loop comparing each baseline with the previous one. Is there a way to list baselines?

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Sep 21 '10, 9:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Harris,

There are a couple of ways (I'm sure we've answered this in the forum before but I can't find it quickly)

- the build result itself will remember the list, so you don't have to generate it all the time.
- or, you can run "scm compare" using the CLI to view the diff between snapshots, streams, etc...
- or in 3.0, there is an ant task to make this easier to integrate into your build process which runs "scm compare" for you and can attach the output to the build result.

Hope this helps,
Jean-Michel

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.