It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rename and move files in Visual Studio

Yaron Norani (47267064) | asked Sep 21 '10, 3:16 a.m.
Hello,

I am using RTC 2.0.0.2.
The IDE is VS 2005.
As I know there is no ability to perform rename / move file with history from the VS IDE in RTC 2.0.0.2.

I guess I should do it from Eclipse from Package explorer view.

The sandbox was created in VS and does not contain .project files.
Is it the reason why I do not see the files from the Eclipse at the Package Explorer view?

What is the solution? Load again and allow to create project file?
What is the best practice for the rename / move file with history from the VS IDE in RTC 2.0.0.2 scenario?

Thanks,

Yaron Norani

4 answers

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Sep 21 '10, 12:31 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Yaron,
Did you have visual studio already running with that sandbox, when you tried to run RTC Eclipse to view those files (in the same sandbox)?
If that is the case, you would need to close Visual studio (actually killing scm.exe from process explorer will do), since scm.exe would have taken lock on the sandbox. Start RTC eclipse on the sandbox after this, and you should be able to see files in package explorer.
To make VS client start tracking changes again, you would need to close the Eclipse client (since it's on the same sandbox).

As you mentioned, we do not have option to rename/move files with history in RTC 2.0.0.2 for .NET client. We however expect to make this available in the next release.

Prabodh

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Sep 21 '10, 1:46 p.m.
Yaron,
Yes you'd need .project files for your sources to show up on Eclipse.
Like Prabodh said, Move/Rename is planned for in the next release - you can see them working today in the betas.
regards
--Rupa

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267064) | answered Sep 21 '10, 2:12 p.m.
OK.

Thanks a lot.
So, maybe it is a good practice to create the workspace always from Eclipse, with .project file.
In that case, we will have the sanbox ready for the Eclipse activities (rename / move).

Thanks,

Yaron

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Sep 22 '10, 10:03 a.m.
OK.

Thanks a lot.
So, maybe it is a good practice to create the workspace always from Eclipse, with .project file.
In that case, we will have the sanbox ready for the Eclipse activities (rename / move).

Thanks,

Yaron

You need not create repository workspace using eclipse always. You can try the following workaround to create .project file, if the repository workspace has been created using RTC for Visual Studios.
Suppose I have a solution "TestSolution" with 2 projects under it - Project1 and Project2. TestSolution is already shared using jazz source control. Now I want to be able to see all these files in Package Explorer in RTC Eclipse. Close VS client, open RTC Eclipse with the same workspace.
Open Package explorer. Create a new "General" project with name "TestSolution". This will create the .project file, and you will be able to see all files under the sandbox. You will also need to share this project, so that eclipse also has share information. If you try to share the project, you will get a dialog saying that the project is already shared, and only the binding information will be written for Eclipse to use. Press Finish on the wizard. Bindings are written, and we are good to go after this.

Thanks,
Prabodh

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.