It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC as a front end to the business for request submission

Tony DeFarlo (1262314) | asked Aug 28 '10, 9:17 a.m.
I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway:

We would like to replace our current method of having the business submit enhancements and defects thru BMC Remedy and let them submit them directly into RTC. However, it appears that there are a few major limitations:
- We can restrict what attributes a user can modify, but that is only apparant when the user tries to save the record and gets an error.
- In some RTC projects we would like to restrict certain roles from seeing the project plans, while still allowing them to submit.There does not seem any way to do this.
- More generally, is there a way to suppress, based on role, the top level RTC menu items - i.e. Plans, Build, Source Control, Reports etc?
- I wonder if one way around this is to create a "Triage" project with skinnied down work item attributes and then allow authorized users to move the work item into the appropriate RTC development project?

Interested in hearing any feedback from anyone who has had to design RTC architecture to accomodate stakeholder usage....

12 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 31 '10, 10:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There are a couple of simple alternatives ... if you aren't all that
attached to the processes that you have defined in ClearQuest, you can
just use the ClearQuest importer to bring your change request data into
RTC. If you still want/need some of the capabilities of ClearQuest, and
just want to enhance them with RTC task management, then you would use
the ClearQuest bridge to connect work items in RTC with the appropriate
records in ClearQuest. As indicated earlier in this thread, the most
common integration between ClearQuest and RTC is to link ClearQuest
change request records to the set of task work items in RTC that are
implementing that request.

If you want a more sophisticated integration, you can use the ClearQuest
Synchronizer, which replicates and synchronizes selected information
between CQ and RTC. But that requires you to write the synchronization
rules that does the data transformation.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 8/31/2010 8:08 AM, itengtools wrote:
Hello all,

I am in a similar circumstance. We use ClearQuest as a development
tool, as well as other things from a "helpdesk"-type tool,
a generic request system, etc.

RTC seems to have a lot of development (software/hardware) type
templates, and we want to begin to move away from ClearQuest, so we
are trying to figure out how this would go.

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8279269) | answered Sep 17 '10, 7:07 a.m.

I'm designing the RTC architecture to support the full change management spectrum: help desk, change requests, defects etc etc.

Not running into any big issues so far. Very pleased with how flexible the architecture is.

The only issue, for non-development related RTC projects, is that RTC includes the concepts of timelines. This adds resource management and planning capability to areas that may not have had them in the past. So not only do you introduce new tooling, but new business concepts in some cases.

Hello,

I would be interested in discussing how this is going for you. What are you doing in terms of the agile planning feature for your change request/helpdesk portion? Are you just ignoring this area? Are you setting it up as "yearly" instead of "releases"? Questions such as that...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.