It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Personal Builds

suresh bathala (11) | asked Aug 19 '10, 7:30 a.m.
I'm relative new to RTC and I need some help with following scenario that we are trying to set-up for a team 8 developers. We are using JBE engine. We want to run personal builds against each developers workspace repository and below is actual use case:

Developer Checks-in the code but does not deliver from the pending changes view
    Runs a build with a build configuration defined to run against his repository workspace which will automatically accepts all incoming changes.
    Deploy the build into a local runtime environment to test the build output
    If test outcome is successful returns back to pending changes view and delivers the code to to the stream.

Our current issues:
    In the pending changes view I see the build snapshots for builds run against other developer's repository workspace
    When I have incoming snapshots, I don't see the change-set that I just checked-in but not delivered, effectively stopping from delivering.

Any suggestions on improve/configure the scenario that I have described above is very much appriciated.

2 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Aug 20 '10, 12:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Also: I'm puzzled by you saying your checked-in change set is not visible when there are incoming baselines. Even if there are incoming change sets or baselines, that does not affect the contents of your workspace. If the stream ends up with the same change set you checked in, though, then it will no longer show as outgoing. This could happen if somebody else accepted your change set (say, via a link on a work item) then delivered it to a stream.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Aug 20 '10, 12:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The recommended setup is:
- there's one stream for the team (can have others too, but let's keep it at one for this discussion)
- each developer has their own repository workspace, with the stream as their default and current flow target
- the build definition is configured with a dedicated build workspace (not referring directly to the stream)
- when doing a personal build, check the option in the request build dialog and choose your own repository workspace

When you do a personal build, it doesn't actually create any baselines. That's done during the accept phase of the build, which is skipped for personal builds.

Are you modifying the build definition to point to developer workspaces instead of the build workspace? Or does the build script itself create baselines or snapshots? This could happen if the script uses the teamAccept task.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.