It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to set a default resolution value

Richard Herrin (2121013) | asked Jul 02 '10, 12:58 p.m.
retagged Jan 18 '13, 7:47 p.m. by Michael Afshar (7014)
Hi,

We are using RTC to track defects, and the resolution code allows us to show things like 'Duplicate,' 'Fixed,' etc. However, the default, at present, is 'Done.' I want to change this to 'Undefined' so people will have to choose a more descriptive resolution code. How do I make this change in the Process Configuration?

-Richard

Comments
Jan Krchnak commented Aug 24 '10, 6:02 a.m. | edited Jan 11 '13, 4:29 a.m.
Hi,

We are using RTC to track defects, and the resolution code allows us to show things like 'Duplicate,' 'Fixed,' etc. However, the default, at present, is 'Done.' I want to change this to 'Undefined' so people will have to choose a more descriptive resolution code. How do I make this change in the Process Configuration?

-Richard

Same problem, any advice anyone?

Filip Matuska commented Jan 11 '13, 4:12 a.m. | edited Jan 11 '13, 4:29 a.m.

Same problem. How to solve it?  Please, help.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Doug Verhun (75169) | answered Jan 20 '13, 11:09 a.m.

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Sam, I've implemented pretty much what you've described as a workaround (for those interested):

-Create an 'Unassigned' resolution that is at the top of the list, so it is the default resolution.

-Setup a query for all 'Closed' items with an 'Unassigned' resolution.  At least this provides our manager/lead with a mechanism of hunting down those that incorrectly closed the item.

Richard Herrin selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Samir Patel (357) | answered Apr 29 '13, 4:11 p.m.
@mafshar, @rschoon : are there any plans to change this field's functionality such that it can be used as 'forced to pick one'?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 30 '13, 2:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I went to https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWelcome and looked up work items containing "resolution" and found an enhancement request at the beginning of the list. I am not in the work item team,so I can't tell what their immediate plans are.

permanent link
Michael Afshar (7014) | answered Jan 18 '13, 7:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Here is the help topic for it:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_defining_state_transitions.html

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 11 '13, 4:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For 4.0 I opened the project editor in Eclipse, opened the Process Configuration tab, browsed to Project Configuration>Configuration Data>Work Items>Workflows. I picked a workflow. I scrolled down and looked into the editor showing the resolutions. I edited one of the resolutions and was able to change the display text. I would assume that is possible in other versions of RTC as well.

Does that solve the original question?

Comments
Richard Herrin commented Jan 11 '13, 12:25 p.m.

No, this only allows me to modify resolution codes.  What i am asking for is to set a default resolution code, so that when I resolve a work item the default resolution code is something of my choosing, not the default of 'Done' 

Doug Verhun commented Jan 18 '13, 5:19 p.m.

I believe I am looking for the same thing.  I would like to set a default value for the resolution (ie 'Unassigned'), which would then force the user to select a different resolution type before closing the work item (similar to how you would set an 'Unassigned Literal' value to an enumeration).  I'm finding that there are a lot of users who close an item with an incorrect resolution (because ours defaults to 'Done' as well), which skews our reports and status tracking of closed items.

sam detweiler commented Jan 18 '13, 5:28 p.m. | edited Jan 18 '13, 5:31 p.m.

Open the workflow, go to the Action table, select the action you want to set the resolution codes for,
select the resolutions in the right column, and use the up/down to order them as u want.
the topmost will appear first in the resolution code list

note that this is NOT like 'forced to pick one'..

you WILL pick one, there is no mechanism to force the user to CHANGE from the initial setting.

(all above using the Eclipse UI )

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.