It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrading of Process Template of a Project

babu vijay prasad kamineni (7623016) | asked Jun 17 '10, 8:37 a.m.
I had created a project using a process template. Is there any way to change the template of that project?

(Note:- Template is not Scrum/ OpenUp Process. I tried the procedure which is give in http://jazz.net/library/techtip/407 . it wasn't working)

Please give me some information how to change it.

7 answers

permanent link
Hehui Liu (7052830) | answered Aug 09 '12, 4:23 a.m.
Here, we have use the RTC 3.0.1.3, and we have customize one process template and deployed it to many projects (more than 10 project), but now we need to add some work item type and preconditions to the process template at the same time apply to all the projects. We have use one project as the parent project, other projects inherit the process from this project,  but the result is that the modification only could be applied to the parent project.  Does there any way to apply the modification to all the existing project? Thanks a lot!

permanent link
Case Taintor (1462116) | answered Jun 25 '10, 4:23 p.m.
Can I safely copy and paste everything but the Timeline piece of the XML? Good lord this is a large file.

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Jun 25 '10, 9:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:07:57 +0000, pctainto wrote:

In RTC 2.0.x, manually copy/pasting XML is the state of the art.

In RTC 3.0, we're adding support for sharing a project area's process
with other projects dynamically. So you'll be able to create one project
area that contains your master process and X other project areas which
inherit that process.

- Jared
-------------------
Jazz Team Process

permanent link
Case Taintor (1462116) | answered Jun 23 '10, 5:03 p.m.
A project area *does not* refer to it's process template at run time after it has been created. The specifications of the template are copied into a project area at the time of creation. As explained by Thomas, the specifications of both project area and process template can then be managed/modified anytime indepedently without impacting each other.

Is it possible to make changes in a template and push the change to all of the projects that used that template? Is there an easier way than doing an XML diff and mucking through that? We're trying to start using Jazz, and, I don't want to have to go to 10 projects to make a small change to the permissions across them all, just because we didn't have that permission set like we wanted when we made our process template.

permanent link
Shivank Arya (19141) | answered Jun 23 '10, 3:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
A project area *does not* refer to it's process template at run time after it has been created. The specifications of the template are copied into a project area at the time of creation. As explained by Thomas, the specifications of both project area and process template can then be managed/modified anytime indepedently without impacting each other.

permanent link
Thomas Yu (45183) | answered Jun 22 '10, 7:56 a.m.
I had created a project using a process template. Is there any way to change the template of that project?

(Note:- Template is not Scrum/ OpenUp Process. I tried the procedure which is give in http://jazz.net/library/techtip/407 . it wasn't working)

Please give me some information how to change it.

I am not sure what you really want by changing the template of that project?

If you want to change the process of the project area, you can made changes via the Process Configuration page of Project Area editor.

permanent link
Sudhakar Frederick (80113631) | answered Aug 10 '12, 2:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you are using the process sharing capability described in http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_sharing_project_area_process_web.html  then the effects of customisation are described in detail in  https://jazz.net/library/article/1005 .

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.