It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

NPE in ProcessAreaWorkingCopy

David Rostocil (911410) | asked Jun 10 '10, 11:55 a.m.
I have automated the initialization of a project area. The idea is that we are creating 'advanced sandbox' environments for our users to explore RTC. So we initialize a project area with several streams and teams, add the new user to the project and teams with the proper permission, load some source code into the stream, and create build definitions to build the streams. It works great however I occasionally see this exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.ibm.team.process.internal.client.workingcopies.ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.handleProcessAreaChanged(ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.java:970)
at com.ibm.team.process.internal.client.workingcopies.ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.access$1(ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.java:962)
at com.ibm.team.process.internal.client.workingcopies.ProcessAreaWorkingCopy$SharedItemChangeListener.itemsChanged(ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.java:139)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.ItemManager.dispatchEvents(ItemManager.java:1376)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher$4.run(EventSource.java:759)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher.process(EventSource.java:754)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher$5.run(EventSource.java:801)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.ThreadCheck.runProhibitingLongOps(ThreadCheck.java:173)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher.process(EventSource.java:797)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher$1.run(EventSource.java:706)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

It is random, but seems to occur most frequently when I'm adding users to a team area. Interestingly, everything seems to end up configured properly, regardless of whether I see this exception.

What is causing this exception? Am I not handling the process area save correctly?

Thanks for your help,
-Dave

One answer

permanent link
Sridevi Sangaiah (59179) | answered Jun 11 '10, 10:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have automated the initialization of a project area. The idea is that we are creating 'advanced sandbox' environments for our users to explore RTC. So we initialize a project area with several streams and teams, add the new user to the project and teams with the proper permission, load some source code into the stream, and create build definitions to build the streams. It works great however I occasionally see this exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.ibm.team.process.internal.client.workingcopies.ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.handleProcessAreaChanged(ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.java:970)
at com.ibm.team.process.internal.client.workingcopies.ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.access$1(ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.java:962)
at com.ibm.team.process.internal.client.workingcopies.ProcessAreaWorkingCopy$SharedItemChangeListener.itemsChanged(ProcessAreaWorkingCopy.java:139)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.ItemManager.dispatchEvents(ItemManager.java:1376)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher$4.run(EventSource.java:759)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher.process(EventSource.java:754)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher$5.run(EventSource.java:801)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.ThreadCheck.runProhibitingLongOps(ThreadCheck.java:173)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher.process(EventSource.java:797)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispatcher$1.run(EventSource.java:706)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

It is random, but seems to occur most frequently when I'm adding users to a team area. Interestingly, everything seems to end up configured properly, regardless of whether I see this exception.

What is causing this exception? Am I not handling the process area save correctly?

Thanks for your help,
-Dave

Hi Dave,

Can you please add these details along with the RTC build id in which you are facing this issue to https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/62384.

Thanks,
Sridevi
Jazz Process Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.