It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to add external custom reports into RTC?

Bill Higgins (4562523) | asked Jun 09 '10, 11:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would like to know how he could use BIRT to contribute custom reports to RTC. The best thing would be a brief conceptual overview and pointers to relevant how-to docs.

One related question: Are there tools other than BIRT that Majdi can use to add custom reports to RTC?

7 answers

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Jun 09 '10, 11:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would like to know how he could use BIRT to contribute custom reports to RTC. The best thing would be a brief conceptual overview and pointers to relevant how-to docs.

One related question: Are there tools other than BIRT that Majdi can use to add custom reports to RTC?

Bill and Majdi,

We have a number of resources on the Reporting Wiki here:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsMain

In particular, there is a simple walk-through of desiging a simple custom report and deploying and running it on the Jazz server:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsCreatingANewReport20

We also have some videos on jazz.net/library which demonstrate some more advanced report customization techniques, but I think the wiki link above should get you started.

Please let me know if you need more pointers in this area.

james
RTC Reports Team Lead

permanent link
Bill Higgins (4562523) | answered Jun 15 '10, 12:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
FYI, I just stumbled across this three part series on the topic of "Creating custom reports with BIRT and Rational Team Concert" by IBM colleague Tim McMackin:

Part 1. Basic reports: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/creatingcustomreportswithbirtandrtc-part1/
Part 2. Complex reports and nested data sets: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/creatingcustomreportswithbirtandrtc-part2/
Part 3. Advanced reporting techniques: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/creatingcustomreportswithbirtandrtc-part3/

- Bill Higgins
IBM Jazz Cloud Development

permanent link
preetam kulkarni (139298) | answered Jun 18 '10, 6:05 a.m.
Hi All,

Is there any way as to know the the details of the parameters used for the data sets and sources created for a project area for
a customized report template.
as we have only customized report template included in the reports component, how can we get the information regarding the parameters and the cascaded parameters used for that report design in a project area

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Jun 25 '10, 1:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On 6/18/2010 6:08 AM, preetskuul wrote:
Hi All,

Is there any way as to know the the details of the parameters used for
the data sets and sources created for a project area for
a customized report template.
as we have only customized report template included in the reports
component, how can we get the information regarding the parameters
and the cascaded parameters used for that report design in a project
area

I'm not sure what you're asking... if you install the BIRT tools, you
can open each of our report design (.rptdesign) files and look at how
the parameters are defined, if that's the information you need. If not,
can you clarify?

Thanks,

james
RTC Reports Team Lead

permanent link
preetam kulkarni (139298) | answered Jun 28 '10, 12:57 a.m.
Hi James,

Thanks for the reponse.

we have a project Area where the Customized report templates are already available.Since they are already deployed we cannot get to know the details of the parameters included in the data set.
Now , Is there any way, as to get the details of the already deployed customized report template.

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9808160143) | answered Feb 17 '11, 7:07 p.m.
I would also like to see the settings for the canned reports. This would help greatly in learning how to write my own. Even better would be to be able to take a canned report and edit/add to it and re-deploy.

permanent link
Timothy McMackin (153106) | answered Feb 18 '11, 8:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would also like to see the settings for the canned reports. This would help greatly in learning how to write my own. Even better would be to be able to take a canned report and edit/add to it and re-deploy.

If you're curious about the reports that are provided with RTC, they are in the Eclipse client in the plugin com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common. On my installation (RTC 2.0.0.2), that plugin is in the folder jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\reports\eclipse\plugins.

In some cases you can also copy the report templates from the Report Explorer view into a project of your own, but it seems that in recent versions of BIRT, this Eclipse view has been removed. Not sure which versions have it and which do not.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.