It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

WIKI in Team Concert

Roland Mueller (102299) | asked May 25 '10, 11:47 a.m.
Hello

we use a external WIKI to provide quick links for a project team and managers , e.g. for latest release notes, spec documents, how to documents, known issues, set up's or a list of review relevant documents , success stories of the product, fieldtest results etc.
The pages of plans are already kind of a WIKI, but a full WIKI inside Team concert would provide a easy drag an drop for links to documents contained in the source control or to work items.
With the external WIKI we need to define a workspace on a commonly accessable server and put all the links manuall - work items can not be adressed.
As you use WIKI style syntax for the pages in plans already, it mightnot be so hard to extent it to a full WIKI - specially as their are Eclipse plug ins available.
The WIKI might appear in the favourites of the tree view.

Roland

May someone else likes the ideas as well

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Mar 15 '13, 10:02 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Within my team, I have some dashboards that I use to get news.  What is new with the project?  What has happened in the past week?  For these types of dashboards, I use the HTML widget for a limited version of this functionality.  You can put an HTML widget on any dashboard, and then anyone with the proper permissions can edit and update the HTML in the widget.  I also use the Bookmarks widget to just put in links to the various wiki's and online communities that we care about.  Another thing that I use in these types of dashboards is the News Feed widget.  I configure mine to monitor blogs, and other RSS feeds that are external to the Jazz environment.

I like the idea of allowing integration with any standard wiki, but I wonder just what we mean by integration?  What specifically would you want the integration to do?  How would it appear to the end user?
Roland Mueller selected this answer as the correct answer

4 other answers

permanent link
DH Lee (25784446) | answered Mar 14 '13, 9:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=32195 has been raised as RFE since one of my customer also requested for same feature.

Comments
cliff saunders commented Apr 16 '13, 6:24 a.m.

Yes something we also require. Confluence provided by Atlassian is an extremely useful tool to document processes etc. - a knowledge repository that is searchable, versioned, with hooks into DEV/Tracking tools.

Frank Schophuizen commented Jan 17 '14, 9:26 a.m.

The RFE has been rejected.

permanent link
Frank Schophuizen (19323226) | answered Aug 17 '12, 3:51 a.m.
Who said anything about inventing the wheel again...
Jazz integrates with instant messaging tools too, but did not reinvent instant messaging...

It is sufficient if RTC would provide an existing wiki engine and preconfigure it to integrate with RTC. Of course, the wiki language of the wiki should be the same as the wiki language used in work items (and other fields that support wiki formatting).

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 17 '12, 4:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Point, provided the Wiki tool can be redistributed.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 17 '12, 4:25 a.m. | edited Aug 17 '12, 4:26 a.m.

On a second thought it would still add more complexity and test effort. The complexity of the system requirements would increase and a support statement would be hard to do anyway, even ifthe Wiki would be redistributable, if the Wiki is not developed by IBM. An install manager procedure would have to be set up too. It all sounds so easy but to mathc the requirements for being able to ship with our products would be a considerable effort.

Roland Mueller commented Aug 27 '12, 12:02 p.m.

Hi Ralph, Frank of course, not re-invent - integration with Confluence WIKI would be great - not even redistribution is required. Most companies have thei "Intra Company WIKI", so a "second parallel" WIKI would not the first choice.

The user value would be to easily insert links links from WIKI to RTC and vice versa , to embedd WIKI pages in the notes tabs of plans e.g. for the releases notes of an iteration , which are any how published in the company WIKI), to push known defects lists for a release to the companies WIKI pages etc. Keep in mind, that RTC is used by the softeware engineers, but not thougout the company. Roland

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 28 '12, 3:04 a.m.

Hi Roland,

my best suggestion to go ahead is to create a work item here: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWelcome and describe the use cases you envision. Post the work item back to this thread so that people can subscribe and support it.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 17 '12, 1:58 a.m.
edited Aug 17 '12, 1:58 a.m.
Hi, my 2 cent on this is: why reinvent the wheel? There are free wiki's out there and it is possible to use links to go back and forth. Which of the many useful features that are genuine to RTC would you sacrifice for development implementing a wiki?

permanent link
Frank Schophuizen (19323226) | answered Aug 17 '12, 1:42 a.m.
I have seen IBM Rational blogs promoting wikis, discussion forums and community blogs (for example this page):
  • Use a wiki page for knowledge sharing and on-demand access
  • Use discussion forums for collaboration, idea sharing and brainstorming
  • Use a community blog for news, announcements, and community-wide communication

And indeed, if we look at the Jazz development projects, they all use wiki pages, discussion forums and community blogs. If Jazz should support collaborative development, at least I would expect that wikis are out-of-the-box.

So, a big +1 from me on this!

Frank.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.