It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to debug js for web development in Jazz

Feng Liu (511125) | asked May 18 '10, 4:29 a.m.
Hi,

When we try to contribute some web UI to Jazz, we have to develop js and html web ui in plugin which runs at server side.

But when we modify the js code in Eclipse, we have to restart the runtime server using the launch file, and clear the history in firefox and re-login to jazz server to test the modification. I didn't find a way to enable hot-code replacement for js. (it can work for java code)

This process is very time-consuming and Inefficient. Could you share the Rational way to debug the js code when you web team built web UI for Jazz?

Thanks very much.

2 answers

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered May 19 '10, 10:41 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you're using a launch configuration to launch a local Jetty server from your eclipse workspace / target platform, then you can add the "?debug=true" URL param to your URL. This will turn off shrinksafe (which compresses and obfuscates your code) as well as the bundling of JS into one big file for the whole dependency tree. It will also pick up JS and CSS changes without requiring a refresh.

Since 3.0 M7, the Web UI framework will also pick up JS and CSS changes in non-debug mode, meaning you only need to use ?debug=true when you're actually debugging.

permanent link
Feng Liu (511125) | answered May 27 '10, 5:12 a.m.
Hi Curtis,

Thank you very much for your response. I've resolved this problem by adding ?debug=true and disable the cache in Firefox to accelerate debug process. It works well.

Also I've learned some articles on jazz web ui framework to optimize js loading process, i.e., "Understanding the Jazz Ajax Frameworks Dynamic Optimization System". But it seems not finished. If you know any valuable materials should be learned about jazz.web framework, could you please share with me? thanks!

If you're using a launch configuration to launch a local Jetty server from your eclipse workspace / target platform, then you can add the "?debug=true" URL param to your URL. This will turn off shrinksafe (which compresses and obfuscates your code) as well as the bundling of JS into one big file for the whole dependency tree. It will also pick up JS and CSS changes without requiring a refresh.

Since 3.0 M7, the Web UI framework will also pick up JS and CSS changes in non-debug mode, meaning you only need to use ?debug=true when you're actually debugging.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.