It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Now to report build statistics with JBS

Chris Abbott (7611412) | asked May 17 '10, 8:44 a.m.
Hi,

How can we do the following:

After the build process we scan the log/output and generate a number of statistics which we need fed back into the system so they can be graphed on the dashboard.

e.g. No Errors, No Warnings, No Lines, No Functions, No PCLint errors, Linked code size, etc.

I assume we can use something in ANT to pass these numbers back, but since they typically will not exist in the system how do we do this.

P.S. Can you please apply Agile methods to your documents (e.g. As a customer I want to xxx, how to do it), and not just a random collection of technical information with no process flow. Or am I just looking at the wrong document.s

6 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 17 '10, 11:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Chris,

The RTC reporting support already provides these kinds of reports for build success/failure, compilation errors and test failures.
See this report for example, and the other reports under Build.

You can tweak the report using the 'Edit Parameters' button at top right.

For code size, this is tracked for the stream (over time), not per build. See the Stream Size Counts report.

There's no support currently for adding extra statistics from 'outside', without writing extensions to RTC, at least as far as I know. I'll ask someone from the Reports team to chime in.

Regards,
Nick

PS: if you have some good pointers on doing Agile doc, please let me know

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered May 17 '10, 12:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Correct - the info available to the BIRT reports currently is limited to the data we collect about build results, including junit and compilation results, and the stream size metrics. This mechanism isn't easily extensible - the data in our data mart was really designed to support the out-of-the-box reports that Nick mentions.

permanent link
Chris Abbott (7611412) | answered May 18 '10, 8:32 a.m.
Hi thanks, for the information, it would seem that we cannot use the tool to track any of the actual important information for a real project, which is a pity. The code size report you mentioned is not what we are looking for so I will explain further:

a) We follow a number of approval related coding standard, and use tools like PCLint to validate these rules, as a result we need to track the warnings, and messages from these tools (these are not compiler related).

b) By code size, I meant code size, not source code size. We produce embedded systems and tracking how much ROM/RAM usage is a vitally important statistic as these are limited resources, therefore after linking the embedded target we need to take the ROM/RAM numbers and chart them

I had hoped this tool was written with a underlying generic base for reporting statistics, recording them and charting them that all specific instances would have been derived from, pitty.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 18 '10, 10:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We would like to simplify the publishing of arbitrary data to a build result, without having to write plugins, and it would make sense to integrate this with Reports.
I've added your suggestion to work item 94475: Make it easy to contribute arbitrary data to a build, and view it.

permanent link
Chris Abbott (7611412) | answered May 19 '10, 10:42 a.m.
Thanks, can I ask one additional item, is it possible (or would it be possible) to be able to extract these data from the JAZZ system (e.g. using a XML request through the webserver), so if we need to pass the statistical data to another tool at any time, we can simply issue a XML request and get the data in XML format?

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 19 '10, 3:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In 2.0.0.2 one can get data out of the build result using the Java client API, or the internal REST interface (used to drive the web UI). In 3.0, RTC will support the REST interface used by Cognos Insight, which is much more general purpose.
If you want to track this work, you may subscribe to 93044: Reportable REST API for repository items and/or its child items.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.