It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Adding comment to work item through web removes duplicate

Erik anderson (38315029) | asked May 14 '10, 12:46 p.m.
I have a client who has customized their process and is seeing different behavior between the eclipse and web client when adding a comment to a work item that has duplicates. I am able to reproduce it in a test environment (with their process config). We are using 2.0.0.2.

They have a "Dev Verified" action with target state called "Dev Verified" and a variety of resolutions (including duplicate). The "Dev Verified" state belongs to the "In Progress" group.

Steps to setup (either client)
1. create a work item (defect)
2. transition to "Dev Verified", select duplicate resolution, add a dup, and save

Open work item with web client - the state shows "Dev Verified" but the resolution is blank and grayed. If I add a comment and save, the duplicate is removed and the history shows:

Resolution Duplicate → Unresolved
Comments testing web client comment - does the dupe go away?
This work item is no longer marked as duplicate of work item 101.

This does not happen using the eclipse client. Any ideas?

3 answers

permanent link
Erik anderson (38315029) | answered May 14 '10, 3:13 p.m.
Do you mean preconditions and/or follow up actions? Nothing unusual there.

I can repro it in a test environment with a vanilla scrum process by changing the "Verified" state group from "Closed" to "In Progress".

Then the web UI doesn't display a resolution, but when the work item is saved it changes the resolution to unresolved and that causes the duplicates to be removed (best I can tell).

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered May 14 '10, 2:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have a client who has customized their process and is seeing different behavior between the eclipse and web client when adding a comment to a work item that has duplicates. I am able to reproduce it in a test environment (with their process config). We are using 2.0.0.2.

They have a "Dev Verified" action with target state called "Dev Verified" and a variety of resolutions (including duplicate). The "Dev Verified" state belongs to the "In Progress" group.

Steps to setup (either client)
1. create a work item (defect)
2. transition to "Dev Verified", select duplicate resolution, add a dup, and save

Open work item with web client - the state shows "Dev Verified" but the resolution is blank and grayed. If I add a comment and save, the duplicate is removed and the history shows:

Resolution Duplicate → Unresolved
Comments testing web client comment - does the dupe go away?
This work item is no longer marked as duplicate of work item 101.

This does not happen using the eclipse client. Any ideas?

Can you check if they have changed the process rules for the server-side or client-side, or both. There are rules that get checked on the client - which I imagine don't get checked if you use the WebUI.

Just a thought...

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.