It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using a windows domain account for SQL server

Victor Campbell (3502618) | asked May 13 '10, 3:46 p.m.
We are attempting to install RTC 2.0.0.2 iFix2 on a Windows server using SQL server. Our security policies state that the SQL login ID must be a windows domain account, with the format: <domain>\<userid>. We've tried many combinations specifying this in teamserver.properties, with quotes, double quotes, two backslashes for this, all of which indicate login failed when looking at the database status in the admin console. Has anyone had success in doing this?

2 answers

permanent link
Sean G Wilbur (87212421) | answered May 15 '10, 5:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We are attempting to install RTC 2.0.0.2 iFix2 on a Windows server using SQL server. Our security policies state that the SQL login ID must be a windows domain account, with the format: <domain>\<userid>. We've tried many combinations specifying this in teamserver.properties, with quotes, double quotes, two backslashes for this, all of which indicate login failed when looking at the database status in the admin console. Has anyone had success in doing this?

First, what errors do you get that are confirming this is the format of the name in question?

A simple test that you can do without having to restart the server over and over is to open a command line to your Jazz server dir, and run:
repotools.bat -verify 

This will not make any changes, but will connect and attempt to verify the table structure looks correct, so even if it connects it should fail as you mention this db has not been setup yet. The key here is to confirm or reproduce the connection error, not to verify the tables yet, this is just an easy way to test your db conneciton that will not make any changes to data.

If there is something funny about the standard domain\user format, you can try the User Principal Name format?

<user>@<FQDN>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa380525(VS.85).aspx

-Sean

permanent link
Victor Campbell (3502618) | answered May 17 '10, 1:09 p.m.
Heres the output when using one backslash (the actual names for the domain and user have been been changed to domain and user):

Repo Tools
Jazz Foundation - Jazz Team Server, Version 1.0.0.2 iFix 2 (I20100331-2220)
Rational Team Concert, Version 2.0.0.2 iFix 2 (I20100331-2220)

Rational Jazz Team Server - Standard
CRJAZ1363I Loading configuration from "file:conf/jazz/teamserver.properties".
CRJAZ1365I Attempting Initial Database Connection Using
Db Name/Location: //172.23.128.5:1433;databaseName=jazz;user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;
CRJAZ0503I Failed to connect to the database: "Login failed for user 'domainuser'."
Db Name/Location: "//172.23.128.5:1433;databaseName=jazz;user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;"
CRJAZ1093I Service class "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.schemagen.PersistentMappingService" failed to activate.
CRJAZ1141I Failed to get the service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.IDatabaseStateService".
CRJAZ1203I Could not determine the database location.
CRJAZ1306I The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.IDatabaseStateService" is not available.
CRJAZ1204I The database "//172.23.128.5:1433;databaseName=jazz;user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;" does not exist, the database tables have not been created, or the database user does not have the required privileges to access the database.

Here's with 2 backslashes:

Repo Tools
Rational Team Concert, Version 2.0.0.2 iFix 2 (I20100331-2220)
Jazz Foundation - Jazz Team Server, Version 1.0.0.2 iFix 2 (I20100331-2220)

Rational Jazz Team Server - Standard
CRJAZ1363I Loading configuration from "file:conf/jazz/teamserver.properties".
CRJAZ1365I Attempting Initial Database Connection Using
Db Name/Location: //172.23.128.5:1433;databaseName=jazz;user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;
CRJAZ0503I Failed to connect to the database: "Login failed for user 'domain\user'."
Db Name/Location: "//172.23.128.5:1433;databaseName=jazz;user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;"
CRJAZ1093I Service class "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.schemagen.PersistentMappingService" failed to activate.
CRJAZ1141I Failed to get the service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.IDatabaseStateService".
CRJAZ1203I Could not determine the database location.
CRJAZ1306I The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.IDatabaseStateService" is not available.
CRJAZ1204I The database "//172.23.128.5:1433;databaseName=jazz;user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;" does not exist, the database tables have not been created, or the database user does not have the required privileges to access the database.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.