It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Migrating from derby to DB2

Xiang Dong Hu (762) | asked Feb 11 '08, 8:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
closed Jun 19 '23, 5:14 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103)
In a typical scenario, a small team start trying Jazz with the default
deployment (Derby database, Tomcat). Someday in the future, more
users/projects would like to use Jazz as the team platform and the team
would like to migrate to use DB2 instead of the default Derby.
My question is, in this case, is it feasible to export the existing data
from the Derby DB and import to the DB2? Can the repotools accomplish
this?

The question has been closed for the following reason: "This is the question from 0.6beta version. There has been changed a lot regarding migrating database and making a backup. Please read the latest documentation for more details about that." by krzysztofkazmierczyk Jun 19 '23, 5:14 a.m.

4 answers

permanent link
Simon Archer (2761) | answered Feb 12 '08, 10:31 a.m.
Yes, it really is that simple. The TAR file created by repotools' -export command is independent of the database implementation. Of course, once you've exported your data you'll need to update your teamserver.properties to use DB2 before performing the import using repotools' -import command. I hope this helps.

permanent link
Xiang Dong Hu (762) | answered Feb 21 '08, 9:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for the info! This is exactly what I was expecting, :-)

permanent link
Matthias Böhmer (1462019) | answered Feb 22 '08, 7:36 a.m.
Can I use this export also to make a backup of a project area? And can I - after data loss - import this backup into a new installation of the jazz server?

permanent link
Simon Archer (2761) | answered Feb 22 '08, 10:03 a.m.
Please read the following part of the Jazz Team Server Setup Guide:

https://jazz.net/downloads/DownloadDocument.jsp?href=betas/data/0.6Beta2a/server-install/index.html#repotools

Here we say:

"The Repository Tools Application is intended to be used for performing database migrations. The application is not intended to be used for performing a database backup. Consult your database vendor's documentation for how best perform a backup."

While exporting your data to a TAR and then later importing it might sound like a way of backing up your data, please remember that exporting and importing using repotools is NOT INCREMENTAL. What this means is that when you perform an export, the entire contents of the Jazz database tables is exported to the TAR, and when you perform an import from a TAR the entire contents of any existing database tables is lost and replaced with the contents of the TAR. In fact, before we import data from a TAR we effectively run the repotools -createTables command first.

Your best bet is to consult your database vendor's documentation for how best perform a backup.

I hope this helps,

Simon