It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC outside Visual Studio & Eclipse

Daniel Assumpcao (111) | asked Mar 29 '10, 1:38 p.m.
From what I've seen in the tutorials, you need to use one of the 2 IDEs in order to use RTC. The Web UI seems to be only to view and manage, but not to actually use, commit code and such.

Is it possible to use fully RTC outside VS and eclipse?

5 answers

permanent link
Daniel Assumpcao (111) | answered Apr 05 '10, 11:42 a.m.

Currently the option I use is to load the repository workspace into the file system. After working on the files I refresh the Eclipse project and check in the files that have changes.

This seems interesting... Would you mind giving a few more details on how to do it? Or is it in a guide or something?

Hi Daniel

Would the commandline interface help?

anthony

I didn't check all of its features yet, but since we intend to use it for the whole team (including designers for example), I don't think that will be an option. Thanks for the tip though.

Currently we don't have an independent file system integration or lightweight client comparable to tortoise. There is a work item 43272 that asks for it. You could show your interest in supporting it.

Done! Thanks for the info.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Mar 31 '10, 8:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
From what I've seen in the tutorials, you need to use one of the 2 IDEs in order to use RTC. The Web UI seems to be only to view and manage, but not to actually use, commit code and such.

Hi Daniel

Would the commandline interface help?

anthony

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 30 '10, 12:57 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Currently the option I use is to load the repository workspace into the file system. After working on the files I refresh the Eclipse project and check in the files that have changes.

Currently we don't have an independent file system integration or lightweight client comparable to tortoise. There is a work item 43272 that asks for it. You could show your interest in supporting it.

Oh, quite interesting. What I saw in the web UI was to upload only 1 file at a time, not like SVN for example. I was hoping for something like tortoise, if you know what I mean.
I tried it on Visual Studio as well, but it seemed I could source control only VS projects. So that doesnt apply to Eclipse?

PS: Yes, I know RTC is so much more than that, but since neither VS nor eclipse is our main development tool, this feature is quite important for us.

permanent link
Daniel Assumpcao (111) | answered Mar 30 '10, 7:51 a.m.
Oh, quite interesting. What I saw in the web UI was to upload only 1 file at a time, not like SVN for example. I was hoping for something like tortoise, if you know what I mean.
I tried it on Visual Studio as well, but it seemed I could source control only VS projects. So that doesnt apply to Eclipse?

PS: Yes, I know RTC is so much more than that, but since neither VS nor eclipse is our main development tool, this feature is quite important for us.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 29 '10, 7:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As of 2.0.0.2, you can use the WebUI to modify files in an RTC stream.

You can also use the Eclipse client as your "SCM GUI", even if you don't
use it as your development environment.

And you can use the RTC SCM command line to do most of those operations.

Cheers,
Geoff

dca wrote:
From what I've seen in the tutorials, you need to use one of the 2
IDEs in order to use RTC. The Web UI seems to be only to view and
manage, but not to actually use, commit code and such.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.