It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Users listed as members of both Project Area and Team Areas

Michael Walker (99214201157) | asked Mar 12 '10, 2:50 a.m.
Our users are listed under both the Project Area and our 2 Team Areas (New Development and Maintenance). This is causing confusion when users are setting their Work Assignment percentages as they see the Team Areas listed twice (once as Team Area and another as child of Project Area).

I was planning on removing the users from the Project Area and just have them listed under the Team Areas, but I'm wondering how this would affect the perimissions defined in the Process Config.

Right now I'm defining the Permissions under the Team Configuration. Will this still work when I remove their names from the Project Area or do I need to start using the Permissions listed under the Timelines?

Is there anything else I need to worry about when removing their names from the Project Area list?

Thanks

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 12 '10, 10:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The permissions defined in the project area are effectively inherited by
all of the child team areas (unless they are specifically overridden
in those child team areas). So no need to move the permission
definitions down into each of the team areas.

For the definitive description of permission inheritance, see:
http://jazz.net/library/article/291

Cheers,
Geoff

miwalker wrote:
mandrewwrote:
If the users do not need to operate in the context of the project
itself, removing them from the project area will not cause problems.
By that I mean, if the users manipulate only data associated with the
team area (work items, plans, source code, etc), they should not need
to be members of the project area.
Martha
Jazz Process Component Developer

miwalkerwrote:
Our users are listed under both the Project Area and our 2 Team Areas
(New Development and Maintenance). This is causing confusion when
users are setting their Work Assignment percentages as they see the
Team Areas listed twice (once as Team Area and another as child of
Project Area).
I was planning on removing the users from the Project Area and just
have them listed under the Team Areas, but I'm wondering how this
would affect the perimissions defined in the Process Config.
Right now I'm defining the Permissions under the Team Configuration.
Will this still work when I remove their names from the Project Area
or do I need to start using the Permissions listed under the
Timelines?
Is there anything else I need to worry about when removing their
names from the Project Area list?
Thanks

Thanks Martha,

But does that mean their permissions (i.e fields they can modify)
needs to be managed at the timeline level or can I use the
Permissions under Team Configuration in the Process Config?

permanent link
Michael Walker (99214201157) | answered Mar 12 '10, 2:47 p.m.
If the users do not need to operate in the context of the project itself, removing them from the project area will not cause problems. By that I mean, if the users manipulate only data associated with the team area (work items, plans, source code, etc), they should not need to be members of the project area.

Martha

Our users are listed under both the Project Area and our 2 Team Areas (New Development and Maintenance). This is causing confusion when users are setting their Work Assignment percentages as they see the Team Areas listed twice (once as Team Area and another as child of Project Area).

I was planning on removing the users from the Project Area and just have them listed under the Team Areas, but I'm wondering how this would affect the perimissions defined in the Process Config.

Right now I'm defining the Permissions under the Team Configuration. Will this still work when I remove their names from the Project Area or do I need to start using the Permissions listed under the Timelines?

Is there anything else I need to worry about when removing their names from the Project Area list?

Thanks

Thanks Martha,

But does that mean their permissions (i.e fields they can modify) needs to be managed at the timeline level or can I use the Permissions under Team Configuration in the Process Config?

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Mar 12 '10, 2:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If the users do not need to operate in the context of the project itself, removing them from the project area will not cause problems. By that I mean, if the users manipulate only data associated with the team area (work items, plans, source code, etc), they should not need to be members of the project area.

Martha

Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.