It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

BIRT Reporting External Data Sources

Paul Wellman (71119) | asked Mar 09 '10, 1:43 p.m.
Does anyone know of any tutorials or documentation related to having custom BIRT reports pull data from external files/data sources?

I have created a number of custom reports that pull data from Flat files on my local machine. Once I deploy the report to the RTC Server, the report is unable to access the file on my hard drive. Do I need to specify a location of the file on the RTC Server?

Appreciate any guidance or advice anyone may have.

Many Thanks!

Paul Wellman

3 answers

permanent link
Jeremy Riley (261) | answered Mar 11 '10, 5:09 p.m.
I had this problem but decided to make my local flat files as attachments to Work Items in RTC. Then the idea was to pull the file out of RTC somehow (perhaps with the Jazz Source Data Type or just standard Web Services). I am stuck on that part.

Most RTC reports do things like counting things, but how can a single item be pulled from RTC in this case?

Report templates in RTC can specify resources to be used, but those seem to be reserved for static items such graphic files. I want to give the report an input file that can be different each time.

permanent link
Paul Wellman (71119) | answered Mar 16 '10, 1:11 p.m.
Hi Jeremy,
This is exactly what I was hoping to do. If by chance you figure it out, would love to hear how you did it.

If I come across anything I will let you know as well.

Thanks!

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Mar 16 '10, 4:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On 3/16/2010 1:23 PM, wellman wrote:
Hi Jeremy,
This is exactly what I was hoping to do. If by chance you figure it
out, would love to hear how you did it.

If I come across anything I will let you know as well.

Thanks!

Have you checked out eclipse.org/birt, or posted in the BIRT
newsgroup/forum? The development team there is quite responsive to
questions and requests.

james
RTC Reports Team Lead

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.