It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Environment Setup Filename Too Long

Darren Cheng (6151) | asked Mar 03 '10, 9:09 a.m.
closed Oct 31 '15, 11:12 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get an RTC development environment set up from the tutorial document at https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RTCSDK20_DevelopmentEnvironmentSetup

I have followed each step exactly, and I know there is something strange with long filenames, but can't find a post with the error I am encountering.

When I try to run my project as a Java Application (Snippet1) I get the following error:

Exception occurred executing command line.
Cannot run program "D:\IBM\WDPE\WID62\runtimes\base_v61_stub\java\jre\bin\javaw.exe" (in directory "D:\JazzDevelopment\jazz\client\plainjava"): CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long.

I am not sure how to fix this, any help would be much appreicated :-)

(I am using Windows Server 2003, NTFS, and I have unzipped all the files with the latest version of 7zip)

Thank you,
Darren

The question has been closed for the following reason: "Problem is not reproducible or outdated" by rschoon Oct 31 '15, 11:12 a.m.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 27 '15, 11:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Use this link and do the current workshop to setup your environment: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/learning-to-fly-getting-started-with-the-rtc-java-apis/

The link you are referencing is outdated and RTC 2.x is no longer supported. The link above points to a workshop here on Jazz.net that works with RTC3.x up to 6.x and I have never seen anyone reporting a symptom like you describe above. The link also explains how to set up for Plain Java Development in a way that you can see the code shipped with the SDK. Something you definitely want.

PS: Since Windows still has issues with path names longer than 255 or so (this is so embarrassing), make sure to install into a lower hierarchy, if at all possible. This is especially true for Eclipse tools, that tend to have long path names for the plugins and features.