It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error installing RTC Linux extending an existing Eclipse

Unknown User (1132) | asked Feb 11 '10, 9:53 p.m.
I am attempting to install the RTC 2.0.0.2 Client for Eclipse IDE (downloaded from Jazz.net) on a Linux RH 5.3 operating system using the IBM Installation Manager, and choosing the "Extend an existing eclipse" option during the installation wizard. The existing Eclipse installation is Gaynmede 3.4.2 with all the latest updates.

The wizard is able to initialize my eclipse installation ok, but later in the installation process it fails with the following message:
---------------
Some features and bundles of your existing Eclipse installation need to be upgraded with newer versions or are missing. You must update your existing Eclipse using its Install/Update manager. Use its "Help->Software Updates->Find and Install..." menu item to invoke its Install/Update manager. Alternatively, you can download the features and bundles from eclipse.org.

Feature "org.eclipse.help.R342patch" is missing
Feature "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui.R342patch" is missing
Feature "org.eclipse.jdt.R342patch" is missing
Feature "org.eclipse.rcp.R342patch" is missing
Feature "org.eclipse.platform.R342patch" is missing
------------------

The feature id/versions in the message look like a bug to me - the word "patch" at the end of each feature ID looks like a placeholder for where a real patch ID should actually be. When I look at the features I have installed in eclipse, they are the latest R342 versions of all the features listed.

Has anyone else tried this or run into this error? Any ideas?

As a side note, I wouldn't even be attempting to do this if I could find a way to install the CCRC extensions to RTC as an eclipse update instead of having to use the IBM Installation Manager - but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

3 answers

permanent link
John Kohl (1461815) | answered Feb 12 '10, 4:38 p.m.
No, those are real pacakges. Search the IBM support web site for those
messages, you'll find directions for a set of eclipse patches you need
to install to enable installation of RTC 2.0.0.2.

--
John Kohl
Senior Software Engineer - Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Lexington, Massachusetts, USA
jtk@us.ibm.com
<http>

permanent link
Unknown User (1132) | answered Feb 23 '10, 11:04 a.m.
Thank you very much - this did solve my problem.

FWIW, I think that error message is very misleading and not helpful - it leads you to believe that the patches needed come from eclipse.org and can be obtained from the standard search for updates mechanism in eclipse, (and even says you can obtain them from eclipse.org which is obviously incorrect, since you have to get them from the IBM support site). It seems like end users would never figure this out on their own (my opinion).

permanent link
Adil Chahid (45524118) | answered Feb 23 '10, 6:40 p.m.
For further references: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/rationalinstall/Install%20into%20an%20existing%20Eclipse%20instance
Cheers!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.