It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Experiences moving from Perforce to RTC CM

Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | asked Feb 07 '10, 12:27 p.m.
A question came up comparing RTC CM with Perforce and concerns about what one would loose migrating from Perforce to RTC. This particular Perforce user has a series of products based on an underlying codebase. It is a pretty typical product-line scenario where changes flow to different products and occasionally product changes flow back (defects). They make heavy use of Perforce's rather powerful file compare and merging capabilities to compare file changes across branches and the time lapse view to see the current content and sliders to see how the file changed over time (easier than repeated compares on a CC version tree. I dont know of a way in RTC to show which file changes are in which streams like one can see in a branching-type view. The little branching-type diagram on the History view doesnt have any information on which streams contain those changes (and IMHO its confusing) and its the only file-level visualization I know of in RTC.

Perforce also makes it rather easy to cherry pick a change from the middle of a branch. I believe RTC provides this same capability by moving individual changes sets across streams and (possibly) creating patches.

Does anyone have experiences moving to RTC from Perforce? What if anything is lost moving to streams and components when we frequently move changes around? Anything coming in 3.0 that would help?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.